One of the best things about festivals and special occasions is the delectable desserts that they bring along with them. All across the world, there are so many different types of desserts that will make your mouth water at the mere sight of them. But the best desserts are the ones that have you yearning for them just by the mere mention. And one of the classic desserts that everyone, no matter what age, enjoys is cake. In the wonderful world of cakes, there's one cake that has the ability to make you want to keep eating it until you're intoxicated, literally and figuratively. It's the ever popular and widely-loved rum cake. In this Tastessence article, we'll share with you one of the simplest recipes that is used to make a sumptuous rum cake.
Rum Cake with Cake Mix
The rum cake recipe given below is one of the easiest to make. Here's a list of the ingredients that you'll need to make it from scratch.
- Walnuts (chopped) - 1 whole
- Dark Rum - ¾ cup
- Yellow Cake Mix - 1 pack (18.25 oz.)
- Eggs - 4
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix - 1 pack (3.5 oz.)
- Vegetable Oil - ½ cup
- Butter - ½ cup
- White Sugar - ½ cup
- Water - 3 cups
Once you've gathered these ingredients, move on to the procedure to make the best and most traditional rum cake of your life. Here's what you have to do.
- Begin by pre-heating your oven. The temperature that you need to set the oven to is 325ºF which is approximately 165ºC.
- Next, take a 10 or 12 cup Bundt pan and grease it. After that, flour the pan and scatter the walnuts that you have across the flour in the pan.
- Now, take a big mixing bowl and combine the cake mix, ½ cup water, the oil, ½ cup dark rum, eggs, and the vanilla pudding mix. Whip these ingredients thoroughly until you achieve the proper consistency of the batter. This should be thinner than a paste, but thicker than a liquid.
- Now, take this batter and gently pour it over the nuts. Pour it evenly to avoid the formation of any lumps.
- Place the pan in the oven and let the batter bake for an hour.
- While the cake bakes, you can prepare the glaze to be used after the cake is ready. For that, you need to place the butter in a pan and let it melt completely.
- While it melts, add around 1/8 cup of the water and stir it gently.
- Then, add the ½ cup of sugar that you have and continue to stir it.
- Let the mixture boil completely for about 5 minutes in the pan.
- Don't stop stirring as it boils.
- After the 5 minutes are up, remove the pan from the heat, add the remaining rum to the mixture and continue to stir it.
- After the baking time is over, use this glaze to cover the top and the edges. Prick a few tiny holes in the cake and spread the glaze evenly all over the cake to get the perfect flavor.
- Your deliciously simple rum cake is ready to be devoured!
Traditional Rum Cake
A traditional rum cake is a modification of the pudding that was so greatly popularized by the British. Generally eaten as a dessert on Christmas, rum cakes in their original form, do not use bottled rum. Instead of that, dried fruits are soaked in the rum for as long as 2 to 3 months prior to the actual baking of the cake. And when it is time to make the cake, these rum-soaked fruits, together with the rum, are added to the dough (see step 3 above) while the preparation of the batter is underway. The resultant batter is rich in fruit and rum, and renders a refined flavor to the cake when it is finally ready. It is also called a black cake owing to the dark color that it gets due to the rum and the soaked fruit.
Though many people do not believe that it is possible to get tipsy by over-eating rum cake, it is indeed possible. However, it totally depends on the amount of rum that you put in the cake. So, if you don't want to run the risk of having inebriated guests at a dinner party, go easy on the rum. Enjoy your rum cake like it's meant to be.