Rum cake originated in the Caribbean and is part of their Christmas celebrations. The traditional recipe requires soaking of dried fruits in rum for about 12 weeks. Due to this procedure, the cake is also known as 'black cake'. Now even though dried fruits are used in the cake, it is lighter in texture as compared to a fruit cake.
Rum Cake Recipe from Scratch
Rum Cake Recipe from Scratch
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- ¾ cup dark rum
- ½ cup banana liqueur
- 2 cups + 2 tbsp softened butter
- 2¼ cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp grated lemon rind
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup whipping cream
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Confectioners' sugar, for dusting
- In a mixing bowl, beat 1½ cups butter and sugar each, until the mixture is fluffy.
- Add eggs and yolk to the mixture, and continue to beat till the eggs combine properly.
- Add vanilla extract and lemon rind, and mix well again.
- Next is half cup of rum and quarter cup of banana liqueur in the mixture.
- Keep the batter aside and in another bowl, combine sifted all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Now add small quantities of rum batter and a little bit of whipping cream in. Make sure you whisk the ingredients well.
- Pour the batter in a Bundt pan and place it in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 55 to 60 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, melt remaining butter in a saucepan.
- Add three quarters of sugar to it with the remaining rum and banana liqueur.
- Bring the mixture to a boil as you stir continuously.
- Reduce heat to low and let the glazing cook for 12 to 14 minutes.
- Once ready, let the glaze cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Once the cake is ready, let it cool for about 15 minutes before you remove it from the pan.
- Poke tiny holes on top of the cake and pour the rum sauce.
- Before you serve, cut individual slices and dust it with confectioners' sugar.
- 1 cup chopped pecans and walnuts
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup of cold water
- 4 packs of vanilla pudding
- 18.5 oz box of Yellow cake mix
- 1 cup dark Bacardi rum
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup sugar
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla pudding, cake mix, half cup water, Bacardi rum, and vegetable oil together.
- Grease a baking pan and spread pecan-walnut mixture at the bottom.
- Pour the cake batter on top and place the pan in a 325 degrees Fahrenheit over for 55 to 60 minutes.
- While the cake is baking, melt butter in a saucepan, add sugar and water to it, and cook on low heat till the sugar dissolves completely.
- Remove the pan from heat and combine the rest of the rum.
- Once the cake is ready, let it cool for sometime before you remove it from the pan. Pole tiny holes on top of the cake and pour the glaze to let it seep in.
- Keep the cake aside for sometime before you serve.