Ham or spiral ham is traditionally made for dinner on Easter or Christmas in almost every home in the United States. But looking at such a big piece of meat, many people get confused as to how to cook it. This article elucidates how to cook it along with the time taken for the task.
Uncooked hams need a decent amount of heat to cook so that it gels well with all the ingredients added to it. Always be sure to read the label of which type of ham you have purchased. Fully cooked ham requires no cooking before you serve it.
- Spiral ham can be grilled, simmered, baked, broiled, or sautéed. If you find the ham too salty, you can wash it down with cold water and then soak it in water for 24 hours before cooking to remove some of the extra salts.
- To bake an uncooked spiral ham, remove the skin and let ti adjust to the room temperature for 1 to 2 hours. Preheat the oven to 325°F. Now place the ham in a deep roasting pan. Bake it until the thermometer shows the temperature 160°F.
- Don’t throw away the bones, it can be used as a flavoring for soups and stews.
- The cooking time for 1 pound of spiral ham is about 12 minutes. So if there are 5 pounds of ham, the estimated time to cook a spiral ham is 60 minutes.
Pre Cooked Spiral Ham Cooking Time
Ham is also considered as a great source of protein, serve it as a side dish breakfast or as a main meal at dinner.
- See the label on the ham for any cooking instructions.
- Preheat the oven 325°F. Place the meat in an oven safe dish. You can lightly brush the bottom of the dish with cooking spray so that the ham doesn’t stick to the pan.
- A bone ham that weighs about 14 lb. should not take more than 18 minutes to heat. While a boneless ham of 10 lb. will take around 20 minutes to heat.
- Precooked ham will require an internal temperature of 140°F.
Baked Ham with Apple Mustard Glaze Recipe
- Spiral ham, 10 lb.
- Apple jelly, ½ cup
- Ground cloves, ⅛ tsp.
- Lemon juice, 1½ tsp.
- Dijon mustard sauce, 1 tbsp.
- Heat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the spiral ham on a roasting sheet and bake per pound for 8 minutes in the oven.
- While the ham is baking, melt the apple jelly in a saucepan. Place all the ingredients and mix well, and then let them cool to room temperature.
- Remove ham from the oven when it has finished baking and increase the oven temperature to 450°F. Sugarcoat the ham with all the ingredients mixed in the saucepan and return ham to oven and bake it for 10 more minutes.
- Remove the ham from the oven and let it be at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving it.
Make sure you wash your ham properly with cold water before cooking.