Sardines contain high amounts of proteins, several vitamins, and essential amino acids. As they are easily and abundantly available, you can easily include them in your diet. If you want to make your family eat sardines, try these recipes.
Healthy Recipes with Sardines
It is said that when buying canned sardines, you should look for those dipped in water or tomato sauce, rather than oil, in order to reduce calorie intake. However, sardines dipped in extra virgin olive oil are also healthy, and do not contain excess calories.
- 8 ounces of sardines
- 3 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 large cucumber
- ¼ cup of sliced onion
- 15 ounces of chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons of sliced Kalamata olives
- ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 2 teaspoons of dried oregano
- ½ teaspoons of freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Cut the tomatoes, cucumber, and sardines into large chunks.
- Mix olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano, and pepper in a bowl and whisk.
- Add all the other ingredients into it and mix well.
- Lastly, toss to mix it well, top with some cheese, and serve.
- 4-5 ounces of canned sardines
- 18 ounces of cannellini beans
- 4-5 slices of country style bread
- 2 ounces of arugula/watercress
- 1 and ½ tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Drain the sardines and mix them with beans. Mash them together.
- Add oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and pepper to the mashed fish and beans.
- Toast the bread in olive oil.
- Place the fish mixture, arugula/watercress on top of the bread. Top with cheese if you like (optional) and serve hot.
- 8-12 sardines
- 3-4 crushed garlic cloves
- ¼ ounces of fresh finely chopped parsley
- ½ cup of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- ½ teaspoon of ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Mix the garlic and parsley together to form a fine paste.
- Smear sardines with this mixture. Also brush some lemon juice over it.
- Now set the fish aside for 1-2 hours so that the flavors get absorbed completely.
- Mix cumin, salt, and black pepper in the flour and form a homogeneous mixture.
- When the fish is ready, coat it with flour so that it is covered uniformly with it.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan until very hot.
- Slowly slide the fish in the oil, one at the time.
- Fry for 5 minutes or until crisp and golden brown.
- Serve with bread or rice.
- 8 canned sardines
- 8 ounces of ricotta cheese
- ¼ cup of minced parsley
- 2 tablespoons of capers
- 1 teaspoon of curry powder
- 1 teaspoon of lemon zest
- Drain the sardines and rinse them.
- Mix sardines and all other ingredients together in a food processor.
- Process to form a coarse mixture. The consistency should be like any other spread or dip.
- Serve with crackers, bread, chips, etc.
Get going and try these recipes. If you come across other interesting versions, do mention in the comments section below.