Did you know that there are over 2,000 kinds of cheese in the world?Cottage cheese only needs two main ingredients - milk and vinegar. Some people use lemon juice instead of vinegar. Vinegar and lemon juice do the same work, so the choice is yours. The process of making cottage cheese from raw milk, needs a bit of coordination between pouring vinegar into the boiling milk and separating the cheese from whey.
Here is a simple method to make cottage cheese out of milk.
Below is a list of ingredients you will require, and the stepwise instructions on making cottage cheese from raw milk.
The process to make cottage cheese from goat milk is similar to making cottage cheese out of raw milk. So, if you prefer goat milk to raw milk, then use goat milk for this recipe.
- Big pan
- Milk of your choice (raw/goat/soya), 1 Gallon
- White vinegar/lemon juice, ¾ cup
- Cheesecloth or muslin cloth
Gather all the above ingredients and follow these steps for making the cheese.
- In a pan set the milk to heat.
- Wait till the milk boils.
- After the milk starts to boil, further boil it for two minutes.
- Reduce the heat, and add vinegar/lemon juice slowly. (You can also use rennet to curdle the milk instead of vinegar.)
- Simultaneously, with a spatula keep stirring the milk.
- There will be separation of the yellowish whey and curd at this stage.
- Keep stirring till all the yellowish whey and curd separates out.
- Turn off the flame.
- Place the cheesecloth in a bowl, and pour the above mix into the cloth.
- Carefully hold the ends of the cloth.
- Hold it under running cool water for 2 minutes.
- Squeeze out all the water from the cheese.
This is another easy method where instead of milk you need to use curd or plain yogurt and there is no need of vinegar.
- Set-up a double boiler.
- Heat curd slowly in the double boiler.
- Make sure the temperature doesn't go over 115 ºF.
- Keep heating the curd on this temperature for around 20 minutes.
- Gently keep stirring the curd throughout the process.
- Pour it into the cheesecloth, and wash with cool water.
- When you are about to drain the cheese, use a cheesecloth to drain water.
- Tie the cloth tightly around the cheese, and place something heavy on it.
- Let the cheese settle down for about 20 - 30 minutes.
- Carefully remove the cloth and put the cottage cheese in a dish.
- Dip a knife in hot water and cut the cheese in any shape you like.
- After you are done running water over the cheese cloth, put it into a mixing bowl. Add salt to taste and mix well.
- If you want your cheese to be even softer and smoother, then add cream and mix well.
- Similarly you can add skimmed milk, whole milk, or some herb like mint, to flavor the cottage cheese.
- You can also add some honey to your cottage cheese, and some dry walnuts to create a sweet snack.
- Black pepper and lemon can also be used to season the cottage cheese.
- To add more taste to the cheese add some peanut butter and cinnamon.