Are you bored of pasta and hence, want to cook something more interesting? Couscous can be one of the best substitutes for pasta. So how to cook it is the question you have. Well, scroll down to find an answer to your question.
Couscous is typical Berber food, which has become very popular in a number of countries around the world. These granules are made by rolling and shaping moistened semolina wheat into spherical shapes and then coated with finely ground wheat flour. The traditional recipe involves steaming and takes considerable amount of preparation time.
In some places around the word, quick-cook couscous is available, which has become popular because it takes lesser time to cook. Meat or vegetable stew tastes best when served with it, however, it can also be eaten flavored, plain, warm or cold, or even as a side dish. It can also be used to make porridge or garnished with fruits to prepare a healthy dessert. Now that we have decided to cook it, let’s see the process for the same.
Cooking Couscous from Scratch
Cooking this dish is very simple. There are many variations of the same, which you can explore. We will start with the simplest way of cooking it.
This is the basic method for cooking. In a large sauce pan, take one part of couscous with one part of water. At this stage, add the flavoring you want. Bring the mixture to boil. When the mixture begins to boil, turn off the heat immediately. Cover the sauce pan and let it sit for approximately 10 minutes. Remove the lid and plump it with a fork. Your dish is ready to be served.
You can also cook it in the microwave. For which you can use 1 cup couscous, with 1 tsp. of olive oil, ¼ tsp. of freshly ground pepper, ¼ tsp. Allspice, and 1 ½ cup water. Place couscous granules in a microwave proof casserole. Pour oil and stir until all grains are coated with oil. This will ensure that the granules do not stick to one another. Add pepper and allspice to the mixture and stir well. Place the casserole in the microwave and cook it on high temperature for 1 minute. Stir water in the mixture and cook it on a high temperature till water is absorbed and the granules become tender. Cook for about 2 to 3 minutes. Once it is cooked, plump it with a fork and your dish is ready to be served.
Balsamic Vinegar Couscous Recipe
This is a simple recipe. Let’s see how to make it.
- Couscous, 1 cup
- Mint Sauce, 2 tbsp.
- Balsamic Vinegar, 2 tbsp.
- Mixed Herbs, 1 tbsp.
- Olive Oil, 3 tbsp.
- Water, 1 ¼ cup
- Salt to taste
- Freshly Ground Pepper, as per taste
- Pour the couscous granules in a microwaveable container.
- Add herbs, salt, black pepper, mint sauce and balsamic vinegar, and mix it all up with a fork.
- Once you have mixed all the ingredients well, you will note that it has become dry.
- Pour water into the pan, cover it with a lid and place the container into the microwave on maximum temperature, for about a minute.
- Remove the container from the microwave and let it sit outside for about thirty seconds. Before you open the lid entirely, ensure that you have let the steam out of it.
- Drizzle olive oil over the mixture and fluff it up with a fork.
Sweet Couscous Recipe
If you have a sweet tooth, then you will want to try this recipe.
- Couscous, 2 cups
- Water, 3 cups
- Sweet Raisins, 2 cups
- Butter, 2 tbsp.
- Onion, (chopped) 0.25 lb.
- Blanched Almonds, 4 tbsp.
- Chopped Dried Apricots, ½ cup
- Cinnamon, 2 tbsp.
- Turmeric, ½ tsp.
- Ground Ginger, 1 tsp.
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Honey, 3 tsp.
- Chopped Oranges, 2
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil.
- Place couscous in a bowl and pour the water on it.
- Add raisins to the mixture and cover the bowl.
- After about 15 minutes, drain the raisins and couscous.
- Heat a pan on low flame and add butter.
- Add onions and sauté the onions and all the other spices. Stir well.
- Add all the other ingredients to the pan.
- Let the ingredients simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Place a steamer on top of the pan and let the mixture cook for a while.
- Place the couscous on a plate and pour sauce on it. Garnish it with chopped oranges.
There are many variations of cooking this dish. How to cook it, will not be a question for you any more.