Your relatives have come unannounced to give you a surprise. This is great, but to your horror, there is nothing elaborate at hand for you to make and neither do you have the time. What you need is some meal planning and innovative ideas. Enlisted below are a few recipes which will provide you with a choice of easy and economical recipes.
Easy Meal Ideas
Steak and Corn Salad
This is an easy to prepare dish.
- Boneless Sirloin Steak or Round Steak, 1 lb.
- Vinaigrette Italian Salad Dressing, 3 tbsp.
- Frozen Corn, (thawed and drained) 2 cups
- Green Onions, (sliced) ½ cup
- Green or Red Bell Pepper, (chopped) 1
- Cherry Tomatoes, (cut in half) 1 cup
- Mushrooms, (sliced) 1 cup
- Havarti or Swiss Cheese, (cubed) 1 cup
- Creamy Italian Salad Dressing, ½ cup
- Mixed Salad Greens, 4 cups
- Using a vinaigrette salad dressing, brush the steak and let it rest for around 15 minutes.
- If it is a round steak, marinate and keep in the fridge for minimum 4 hours; 8 hours would be great.
- Blanch the corn in boiling water for 2 minutes, after cutting the kennels off the cob.
- Drain the corn.
- Mix corn, onion, pepper, mushrooms, tomatoes, and cheese with a creamy Italian salad dressing, in a large bowl. Place it on the greens while serving, in the serving plate.
- Then grill the steak, ideally in 2 sided dual contact grill for around 5 to 9 minutes, depending on how well cooked you want it to be.
- If you are cooking on an outdoor grill, cook between 8 to 14 minutes over medium heat.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes, after removing it from the grill.
- Slice the steak across, forming thin slices and then place them over the salad.
- Serve immediately.
This is a fantastic bread recipe and can be eaten solo or with chicken and steak.
- Refrigerated Soft Bread Stick Dough, 11 oz. can
- Olive Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Parmesan Cheese, (grated) ¼ cup
- Dried Italian Seasoning, 2 tsp.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F
- Grease the cookie sheets lightly and line them using parchment paper.
- Separate the dough into 8 coils after removing it from the can. Remember not to unroll.
- Place the dough on the pan and press each coil of dough in a 5 inch circle.
- Drizzle the dough with olive oil.
- Add cheese and seasoning together, and mix well.
- Sprinkle that mixture over each coil.
- Bake this for 14 to 18 minutes at 375° F. This will make the bread golden brown.
- Immediately remove the bread from the cookie sheets.
Vegetarian Crockpot Chili
- Frozen Protein Crumbles, 12 oz. pkg.
- Onions, (chopped) 2
- Diced Tomatoes, (undrained) 2 (14 oz.) cans
- Tomato Sauce, 15 oz. can
- Chili Powder, 1-2 tbsp.
- Ground Cumin, 1 tsp.
- Red Kidney Beans, (rinsed and drained) 2 (15 oz.) cans
- Cornstarch, 2 tbsp.
- Water, ¼ cup
- Combine all the ingredients, in a slow cooker. Do not put cornstarch and water in the cooker.
- Cover and cook on low heat for around 8 hours, till the vegetables are tender.
- Turn the heat to high.
- Meanwhile mix water and cornstarch till it is smooth.
- Add chili powder and stir it well.
- Get the lid off the veggies in the cooker and cook for around 15 minutes, till it gets slightly thick.
- This is enough for 6 servings. Serve it hot.
Tomato Meatball Wraps
This is an Italian dish.
- Minced Beef, 1 lb.
- Mixed Herbs, 1 tsp.
- Oil, 1 tbsp.
- Tomatoes, (chopped) 0.90 lb.
- Tomato Puree, 2 tbsp.
- Wholemeal Tortilla Wraps, 0.70lb. (pack of 8)
- Cheddar Cheese, 100 gm.
- Blend the herbs and cheese with beef.
- Divide it into 24 portions and then roll them into balls.
- In a large frying pan, heat oil and then fry the meatballs for around 10 minutes, till they are golden.
- Add the puree and chopped tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes more.
- Warm them according to the instructions on the tortilla pack.
- Then spoon the meat balls over the tortillas and sprinkle some cheese over them.
- Add a scoop of soured cream, fold and then serve.
In order to prepare these recipes, all you need is a dash of innovation, a piece of culinary sense and a spoonful of love. Now you are all set for a gourmet delight! Bon Appetit!