With the festive season around the corner, food becomes a very important aspect of the celebrations. The bottom round roast recipe complements the festivities perfectly. It’s very easy to prepare, and will have your guests licking their lips.
Bottom round roast is actually the outside muscle of the upper leg of beef. There are plenty of recipes, which one can make use of, for roasting this cut of beef. This cut of meat can be cooked in the oven or it can also be pot-roasted. However, pot roasted meat is preferred to oven roasted meat, because if the meat is cooked for little longer than necessary, then it becomes chewy and loses its flavor.
The recipes given below are easy and require less amount of work as well. At the same time, they taste amazing.
Recipe # 1
This version can be made, both in the oven as well as in a crock pot. The recipe mentions 1 bottom round roast, which should be about 4 pounds in weight.
- Bottom Round Roast, 1
- Onions, 6 (sliced)
- Water, 1 cup
- White Vinegar, 1 tablespoon
- All-Purpose Flour, 1 tablespoon
- Bay Leaf, 1
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- At the bottom of the stock pot, line up the sliced onion pieces.
- Rub salt and pepper into the meat and leave it aside for 15 to 20 minutes, the more the better.
- Then place the roast on the onion pieces.
- Now, add vinegar along with the bay leaf into the pot, and let it come to a simmer on a high heat.
- Reduce heat to low, cover the pot and let the roast cook for about 3 to 3 ½ hours.
- While this is being made, it is important, that the lid is not removed often.
- After the meat is cooked, remove it from the stock pot into a serving plate.
- In a small bowl mix all-purpose flour along with water.
- Now, add the drippings from the pot to the all-purpose flour mixture and let it simmer over medium low heat, till the mixture thickens.
- Serve the roast with the gravy.
Recipe # 2
If you are planning to make this dish for dinner, you need to start the preparations at least 6-8 hours before that. The recipe mentions dry onion soup mix. If it is not available, you can make use of finely chopped onions along with onion salt for near perfect taste.
- Bottom Round Roast, 5 ½ pounds
- Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup, 2 cans
- Dry Onion Soup Mix, 1 pack
- Water, 1¼ cup
- Salt and Pepper, as per taste
- Rub the roast with salt and pepper and keep it aside for 30 to 45 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, mix water with the cream of mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix.
- Place the roast at the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Pour the soup mixture over the roast.
- Set the slow cooker to low settings and let the meat cook for 8 to 9 hours.
- When the cooking is done, carve the meat and serve with the drippings from the crockpot.
The bottom round roast recipe can also be made using Italian seasoning, olive oil, red wine, peeled and crushed garlic, etc. Different vegetables of your choice can also be added to the dish. Mushrooms added to the recipe also lend a different taste to the roast. If the water content is in excess, then you can add a mixture of water with cornstarch to thicken the gravy. However, this should only be done when the meat is almost cooked.