Arrowroot is a tropical, perennial tuber. To make arrowroot powder, the rhizomatous part of the arrowroot plant is used. The plant has special uses in the West Indies, where it was used for treating arrow poisoning, therefore the name arrowroot. Other than West Indies, it is also commonly found in other tropical countries like India, Philippines, Thailand, Mauritius, Brazil, etc. It is known to have 23% starch. The starch from arrowroot is said to be of higher quality as compared to starch derived from potato or cornstarch. To derive the starch, the tubers are harvested, after which they are washed, descaled and beaten to form a pulp. The pulp is strained to remove the milky juice, which is then allowed to settle. At the bottom is the starch. The starch is dried, which in turn results in arrowroot powder. There are many arrowroot recipes which one can make use of to make some interesting fare for the family.
Arrowroot Pudding Recipe
Are you in mood for some different kind of dessert? Then you will certainly want to try arrowroot pudding. It is one of the easiest to make desserts and will be gone in no time.
- 1 cup arrowroot powder
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp chickpea
- 2 tbsp cashew
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 1 semi sweet chocolate bar
- Combine arrowroot powder with 1 cup milk to make a thick paste.
- In another bowl bring the remaining milk to a boil.
- Cook chickpea and cashews together in a separate bowl and grind it roughly.
- Add sugar to the boiled milk along with cardamom powder and grated chocolate.
- Then add roughly ground chickpea and cashew paste to the milk.
- Finally add the arrowroot mixture to the milk and let the mixture cook for a while.
- Once the mixture thickens a little, remove it from the heat and serve with decoration of cherry and cream.
Arrowroot Cookie Recipe
If you are allergic to gluten or staying away from it, then you will no doubt want to try this recipe. This recipe also does not contain sugar, which makes it a perfect bet for people with diabetes.
- 0.18 lb arrowroot powder
- 0.12 lb butter
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp almonds
- In a saucepan, melt the butter and honey together, remove the saucepan from the heat and add sifted cocoa powder, baking powder and sifted arrowroot powder to the mixture.
- Then add chopped almonds to the mixture, knead the dough and let the dough stand for 10 minutes. If the dough is soft, you can add 2 to 3 teaspoons of arrowroot powder to the dough and knead it to make it firm.
- Make small balls with the dough, flatten and place them on baking tray.
- Let the cookies bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 10 to 15 minutes. Once the cookies are brown in color, let them stand for a few minutes, before you remove them.
Arrowroot Custard Recipe
One of my favorite desserts is custard. When I found the recipe to make arrowroot custard, I was thrilled. I tried the recipe and was ecstatic, for it was the best custard I had ever had. Here it the recipe, which you will want to try to fall in love with.
- 3 tbsp arrowroot powder
- 3 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a saucepan, combine sugar and arrowroot powder together.
- Gently whisk in the milk.
- Place the saucepan on stove over medium heat and continue to whisk the mixture.
- In another bowl, beat the egg yolks, till they are light and fluffy.
- Add the egg yolks to the milk mixture and continue to whisk the mixture.
- Add vanilla extract to the mixture, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Once the mixture has cooled down a little, place it in the refrigerator and serve cold.
Arrowroot Sauce Recipe
One of my personal arrowroot recipes is the white sauce made with arrowroot. According to me, this sauce tastes much better as compared to the regular white sauce.
- 1tbsp arrowroot powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter or margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp shredded cheese (if required)
- In a skillet, heat butter and add arrowroot powder to it.
- Fry the powder for a few seconds, then add milk to the mixture and continue to stir.
- When the mixture thickens, add salt and pepper and remove from the heat.
- If you are going to add cheese, add it about 2 to 3 minutes after adding milk.
- Stir till cheese melts and then add salt and pepper according to taste.
- The arrowroot white sauce is now ready.
There are different arrowroot substitutes which you can use according to the arrowroot recipes you are making. However, it is best to use arrowroot powder itself. Other than the recipes mentioned here, there are a number of arrowroot flour recipes which you can also try out.