Sweet potato bread is a unique form of bakery product that can be eaten when you want to add variety to you meals. Any extra ingredient, which adds taste and flavor to the bread, can be tried to enhance your meal experience.
There are a number of recipes, which can be made using the sweet potato. You can make breads, muffins, biscuits, etc. To make the bread, you can make use of the left over baked, fresh, or canned sweet potatoes. It can be served warm with butter or cream cheese and can also be eaten as a light snack.
This is a basic recipe, which can be used to make the bread. If you use baked sweet potatoes to make the bread, it will taste much better. However boiled ones can also be used to prepare the same.
- Regular Flour, 3 cups
- Baking Soda, 1 tsp.
- Salt, 1 tsp.
- Cinnamon, 3 tsp.
- Sugar, 2 cups
- Sweet Potato, (baked and mashed)
- Nuts, (chopped) ½ cup
- Eggs, 4
- Vegetable, Oil 1 ¼ cup
- Mix flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, sugar, sweet potatoes and nuts in a large bowl.
- Beat the eggs well, till they are fluffy.
- Mix eggs with oil and mix this with refined flour.
- Mix the batter, till it is soft, even and moist to touch. Make sure you do not over-mix the batter, else the bread will become very hard.
- Grease loaf pans and pour equal amounts of batter in both the pans.
- Bake at 350° F for about 60 – 70 minutes.
Pecan & Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
This recipe is made using pecan and sweet potatoes. With this recipe, you will be able to make light and spicy breads. You can either roast the sweet potatoes or boil them.
- All-Purpose Flour, 1 ½ cups
- Kosher Salt, 2 tsp.
- Baking Soda, 1 tsp.
- Baking Powder, ½ tsp.
- Ground Cinnamon, ½ tsp.
- Freshly Ground Nutmeg, ½ tsp.
- Sweet Potato Flesh, 1 cup
- Granulated Sugar, ⅔ cup
- Light Brown Sugar, ⅓ cup
- Unsalted Butter (melted) 8 tbsp.
- Eggs, 2
- Vanilla Extract, 1 tsp.
- Whole Milk, ½ cup
- Whole Pecans, (toasted and coarsely chopped) ½ cup
- Heat the oven to 350° F and coat the loaf pan with butter and flour. In case there is any excess, tap it out.
- In a big bowl, combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. If there are any lumps, break them.
- In a blender, mix sweet potato flesh, granulated sugar, and brown sugar at a medium speed, till all the ingredients are well mixed.
- Then add butter and whisk it on low speed.
- After creaming the butter add one egg at a time and whisk slowly till the eggs mix well with the other ingredients.
- Scrap the sides of the blender and add half the quantity of the dry mixture with ¼ cup of milk. Whisk it on low speed. Then add the remaining flour and milk.
- Remove from the blender and fold in the nuts.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake until the bread is ready. It will take about an hour for it to bake.
- Let the pan cool for 15 minutes before you remove it.
- Dry Yeast, 2 tbsp.
- Lukewarm Water, ¼ cup
- Safflower Oil, ¼ cup
- Thyme, 1 tsp.
- Mashed Sweet Potato, 1 ½ cup
- Sweetener, 3 tbsp.
- Soy Milk, 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour, 3 cups
- Unbleached White Flour, 1 cup
- Cornmeal, ½ cup
- Salt, 1 ½ tsp.
- Little extra Soy Milk for brushing
- Combine yeast and water together in a bowl and let it rest for about 10 minutes.
- Add oil and thyme to it, and stir well.
- Now add potatoes, sweetener, and soy milk to the mixture. Stir gently till a smooth mixture is formed.
- In a big bowl, combine flour, cornmeal and salt together.
- Make a well in the center of the dry mixture and pour the wet mixture in it.
- Knead the dough and leave it aside till the dough doubles up.
- Punch the dough down and divide into 6 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a long coil, which should be about 1 inch in diameter.
- To make each loaf, braid three coils and pinch the ends together.
- Place the loaf on a floured baking sheet and cover it with a damp cloth. Leave it aside till it doubles in bulk.
- Brush the top of the loaf with soy milk and bake the bread in a preheated oven at 350° F till the top is golden brown in color.
There are also some other recipes to make this pudding. However, I will post them sometime later. Till then, you can try the recipes mentioned above.