Tacos, one of the traditional Mexican foods, have become popular all over the world. It is truly delicious and is enjoyed by one and all. There can be different types of tacos based on the fillings and toppings. But each one has its own unique taste. Chicken tacos are one of the all-time favorite varieties of tacos.
Mexican Style Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
Shredded chicken and tacos make a perfect pair with Mexican style cilantro lime rice. Here's how to go about it.
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, peeled and quartered
- tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- flour or corn tortillas
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- salt to taste
- In a saucepan, combine all the ingredients. Add water to cover and bring to boil.
- Cover the pan partially and let the mixture simmer steadily.
- Cook for about 30 min., until the chicken is tender.
- Remove the tender chicken from the broth and cool. Shred it with fingers or by using a fork.
- Cook the sauce for several minutes, until it thickens and has reduced in volume. Add cornstarch to get the right consistency, if required.
- Serve the chicken with taco fixings, and drizzle it with the sauce.
Tequila Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
This one is a modified recipe, using tequila. Be ready to get the kick!
- 8 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can tomato puree
- olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 fire-roasted tomatoes, diced
- 20 mushrooms, chopped
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tequila shot
- 1 medium zucchini
- Add a splash of olive oil in a slow cooker. Fry the chicken, till it turns brown on both sides
- Add the rest of the ingredients except tequila and zucchini.
- Boil the mixture and let it simmer on low heat for 4 to 6 hours.
- Add tequila and zucchini, after about 6 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the cooker and shred it using a fork. Put the shreds back into the slow cooker and simmer for another 2 hrs. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now spread the chicken on the tortillas and top it with avocado, green onions and salsa. It is ready to hit the table.
Slow Cooker Shredded Chicken Tacos Recipe
This is one of the easiest ways to make tacos. Just throw all the ingredients in the slow cooker in the morning and let it cook for the whole day. A tasty meal is ready, when you come back home after a long working day. This is how it is done.
- 6 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can salsa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 2 cups salsa
- flour or corn tortillas
- fresh limes
- Pour salsa into the bottom of the slow cooker or cover it up with chopped onions and pepper
- Then, lay the boneless chicken breasts over it and cover the chicken with salsa.
- Adjust your cooker on low and cook for about 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the salsa juice after 6 hours and shred it using a fork. Put it back in the cooker and simmer for about 30 min. on low.
- Assemble it on the taco shells or tortillas and top it up with salsa.
Shredded Chicken Tacos With Tomatillo Sauce
- 2 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 tomatillos, husked and washed
- olive oil
- 1 jalapeno pepper
- ½ onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 cup crumbled cheese
- 8 flour or corn tortillas
- sour cream to garnish
- Hold the tomatillos over the flame of the gas burner or on a stove to blacken the skin.
- Now place the tomatillos, onion, cilantro and garlic in a blender. Pour the lime juice over it and blend well. Then, add honey to the mixture and process until smooth.
- Pour the mixture in a saucepan, add the cooked shredded chicken and heat for about 10 min.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the tortillas and top it with crumbled cheese and shredded cilantro. Garnish it with sour cream and its ready to serve.
So, this was all about how to make shredded chicken tacos. I'm sure you will try these recipes at home as soon as you read this article.