Pig roast is certainly one of the dishes for a special occasion. And you bet, it is enjoyed in several parts of the world and considered a major delicacy. In all of this, very little attention is given to the side dishes, the bit-part actors in the otherwise all-pig show. The dishes lend a bit of spice and taste to the dish and overall make it more enjoyable.
Pig Roast Barbecue Side Dishes
Potato Side Dishes
- Minted Potatoes: Minted potatoes make for great meal side dishes, and all you need to do is bake the potatoes before applying some minced mint or a mint paste on them.
- Mini Baked Potatoes: Mini baked potatoes are one of the simplest baked side dishes. All you need to do is bake the potatoes and sprinkle some salt and pepper on it. If you take the smaller potatoes, they look fancy too and you are saved the effort of cutting them.
- Roast Potatoes: Roast potatoes lend a different sort of taste too, as compared to the naked potatoes and are crunchier as well. So, if you don't warm up to the idea of having baked potatoes, try having some roast potatoes and sprinkle some rosemary and sea salt on them to make them even tastier.
- Colcannon: Colcannon is a tastier option although not for those on a weight loss diet! Colcannon combines mashed potatoes with cream, spring onions, and cabbage.
Salad Side Dishes
- Mixed Green Leaf Salad: The mixed green leaf salad is one of the most common side dishes recipes, which goes fairly well with the pig roast. Mixed green leaf salad combines different salad leaves and herbs and makes for a lovely, tasty, and yet low calorie combination.
- Jewel Salad: Jewel salad derives its name from the fact that it is one of the most colorful side dishes. It contains a variety of ingredients, like cherry tomatoes, yellow and red bell papers, cucumber and depending on availability, even grapes! And laced with some olive oil, mustard dressing, and lemon juice, it tastes great.
- Traditional Coleslaw: Traditional coleslaw is a common side dish which goes well with most barbecue dishes. It is made with carrots, crunchy cabbage, and sweet yogurt or mayonnaise.
- Greek Salad: Greek salad is one of the more difficult side dishes. It combines black and green olives, red onion, feta cheese, and mixed salad leaves spiked with some white wine vinaigrette.
These dishes will help add a touch of a different taste to your pig roast fest and will provide all the tastes which you love rather than just that of the pig roast. Enjoy!