Whether you are a vegetarian or a non-vegetarian, you will enjoy lemongrass soup with different flavors. While preparing these tasty soups, you can add other complementary herbs, like ginger root, lime leaves, cilantro, and basil.
Lemongrass is a multipurpose herb, used in culinary and medicinal applications. This tropical grass is widely known for its rich citrus scent. The lemongrass plant itself is not consumed directly, but it is added to add flavor to dishes. So, either you can remove it after cooking, or retain in dishes at the time of serving. While trying to make some lemongrass soup, make sure that you peel off the outside leaves and smash the stalk a little. This will impart a rich lemon flavor to your soup. Given below are some easy soup recipes that you can try making at home.
Corn and Lemongrass Soup
- Large onion, 1 (chopped)
- Fresh lemongrass, 1 stalk
- Water, 5 cups
- Butternut squash, 4 cups (peeled, cubed, seeded)
- Fresh corn kernels, 2½ cups
- Salt and pepper for taste
While preparing lemongrass, you can trim off the root section and remove the outer leaves. Crush the stalk with a large knife, and cut into larger pieces. In a soup pot, cook lemongrass and onions with some water for 10 minutes over low heat setting, until onion becomes soft. Add remaining water, squash, corn, and seasoning spices. Adjust heat setting to high, and bring the soup mixture to a boiling temperature. Then, cover lid and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 10 minutes, or till squash can be mashed easily. Remove lemongrass and make a puree. If required, reheat soup before serving.
Coconut Lemongrass Soup
- Coconut milk, 2 cans
- Lemongrass, 2 stalks (peeled and sliced into ½ cm. pieces)
- Garlic, 2 cloves (minced)
- Lime leaves, 3 (torn into 3 pieces)
- Red pepper, 1 (cut)
- Jalapeño, ¼
- Firm tofu, 1 block
- Carrots, 2 (peeled and sliced)
- Small zucchini, 2 (peeled and sliced)
- Button mushrooms, 1 can (drained and washed)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Sea salt for seasoning
Take a large soup pot, and add coconut milk, lemongrass, garlic, and lime leaves. Heat till the mixture starts boiling. Then, stir in the remaining ingredients (except salt and lime juice) – red pepper, jalapeño, tofu, carrot, zucchini, and mushroom. Cook on medium-low heat for 30 – 40 minutes. Add lime juice and salt as per your taste. If desired, you can add hoisin sauce to spice up your lemongrass soup. Before serving it, discard lemongrass.
Lemongrass Chicken Soup
- Large lemongrass stalks, 2 (peeled and cut into 4 inch pieces)
- Chicken broth, 3 cups
- Cooked chicken breast, ½ cup (cut into pieces)
- Button mushrooms, ¼ cup (sliced)
- Cracked black pepper, ⅛ tsp.
- Thin fresh asparagus spears, 6 (cut up)
- Salt for taste
- Green onions, 2 (thinly sliced)
- Fresh cilantro leaves
Directions for Preparation
First prepare lemongrass stalks by cutting lengthwise and tying with a cotton string. This way, you can remove them easily at the time of serving. In a cooking pan, add lemongrass, chicken broth, mushroom, and pepper. Heat this mixture till it boils, and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes, and discard the lemongrass bundle. To the pan, add chicken pieces, asparagus, and salt. Cook over low heat for 3 – 4 minutes, until asparagus turn crispy and tender. Remove the soup from heat, and add spring onions. While serving in soup bowls, you can top with fresh cilantro or basil leaves.
Lemongrass Soup with Shrimp
- Water, 4 cups
- Lemongrass, 1 stalk (crushed and cut into 1 inch pieces)
- Lemon leaves, 4 (torn into 3 pieces)
- Ginger root, 1 inch (thinly sliced)
- Sugar, 1 tsp.
- Fish sauce, 3 tbsp.
- Chili powder, 1 tsp.
- Fresh hot chilies, 2 (crushed and halved)
- Button mushrooms, 2 oz. (quartered)
- Medium to large shrimp, 16 (shelled and deveined)
- Lime juice, 3 tbsp.
- Fresh cilantro leaves for garnishing
Directions for Preparation
Heat the water in a large soup pot and bring it to a rolling boil. Then, add lemongrass, lemon leaves, and ginger. Boil for 2 minutes over high heat. Add sugar, fish sauce, chili powder, fresh chili, and mushrooms, and cook for 4 minutes. Lower heat to medium-high and add shrimp along with the lime juice. Boil for 2 minutes, or until the shrimp turns springy and whitish in color. Spoon into individual soup bowls, decorate with cilantro leaves and serve hot.