Bread is one of the most frequently consumed foods in the US and also forms a common breakfast menu item. A jumbo pizza without garlic bread as a starter, renders an empty look to the table. Stuffed sandwiches, hotdogs and burgers are liked by most school and college goers. Health nutritionists advice consumption of brown bread as it is low in calories. But have you ever thought how to make it at home? If your answer is NO, then read the following segment to learn how to prepare it.
Before starting the preparation, you need to procure the following ingredients.
- Flour, 6 cups
- Sugar, (brown or white) 1 tsp.
- Yeast, (optional) 1 tsp.
- Salt, 1 tsp.
- Fats (oil and butter)
- Eggs (optional)
- Liquids (water or milk)
- Toppings (nuts, seed, egg glazes)
How to Make Homemade Bread
Are you wondering how to make bread and get the same product quality as in the market? Well, the answer is, you can get the same taste and quality. It can be prepared in the following way.
- In a cup of warm water mix yeast, salt, and sugar.
- Once you have mixed everything thoroughly, add 5 to 6 cups of flour to this mixture.
- Knead the dough and adjust the thickness with either water or milk.
- Knead with the palm and heals of your hands. Fold, smash and turn, until the dough is elastic and becomes very smooth.
- Punch the dough repeatedly and observe the increment in size.
- Grease the loaf pan and place the loaf according to the size of the pan.
- The dough will rise and become double of its size.
- Bake it at 400° F. Stop the oven after the top of the loaf has turned golden brown and the surface becomes hollow.
- Take it out from the oven and your bread is ready.
How to Make Wheat Bread
Brown or wheat bread can also be prepared at home. This is healthy and low in carbohydrates. You can also try the same recipe for whole wheat banana bread, following the steps mentioned below.
- Dissolve the packet of yeast in warm water.
- Add 3 cups of wheat flour and blend well with the yeast.
- Once it has blended, add the rest of the ingredients - 1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. dough conditioner, 4 tsp. melted and cooled butter, ⅓ cup brown sugar, 2 tsp. wheat gluten. Mix thoroughly in room temperature water.
- Now add another 3 cups of flour and 1 tsp. of dough conditioner to the mixture. Adjust the quantity with water.
- Knead the dough thoroughly until it becomes soft.
- In a loaf pan, put the dough according to the shape.
- The oven should be preheated to 350° F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the color changes to golden brown.
How to Make White Bread
White bread, though rich in calories, is one of the most flavorsome forms. The preparation is done with milk that adds to the taste and flavor.
- Add 1 cup warm milk to 1 tsp. dry yeast, 2 tsp. sugar, 1 tsp. salt, and ½ cup lukewarm water. Blend them well.
- Prepare the dough with 5-6 cups of refined flour. Add the mixture to the dough. Knead until the dough has increased in volume and has become smooth.
- Spread vegetable oil over the loaf pan and put the dough of same size.
- Preheat the oven and bake at 400° F. Turn off the oven until the loaf has turned golden brown.
Making Bread Without Yeast
Yeast free bread is the ideal recipe. Instead of yeast, you can use eggs and baking powder to get the desired concentration.
- Warm 2 cups of water. Immediately add 1 cup of cornmeal, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 tsp. salt, and 1 tsp. shortening. Mix vigorously and beat one egg into the mixture.
- Prepare the dough with 6-7 cups of flour and water. Knead it heavily, till it turns fluffy and smooth.
- Now blend the ingredients with the dough and knead once again.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Put the dough over the greased loaf pan. Bake for 20 minutes until it turns brown.