Are you wondering how to broil a steak? If yes, you should refer to this article as it will tell you not only one way but many different ways to do so, and they are sure to make you a fan of this mouth-watering dish!
A steak is one of the most important dishes of any North American breakfast. This delicious food item is quite a task to prepare because it tastes great only if it is cooked in the right way, for the right amount of time. People often avoid making it at home because most of us think that it can be broiled only in big broiler pans that only restaurants have. However, it is not so. You can do the same in an electric oven as well! And if you do not have one, you can still do it in a toaster oven! Let’s see how to do that without a broiler pan.
In an Oven
1. First, remove the steaks from the packet, and keep them aside for at least 15 minutes before broiling them.
2. After that, wash them under running water, and pat dry, not with a cloth but with paper towels.
3. Set the oven to ‘broiler’ mode, and then preheat the broiler pan by keeping it under the broiler on high setting, for about 10 minutes.
4. Season the steaks with pepper, garlic powder, and salt.
5. You can also use the ready-made seasoning available in the market, if you wish.
6. Now take a stove-top pan, and sear the steak pieces onto it.
7. When well-seared, add butter and olive oil to the pan, and let the steaks remain in it for about 1½ minutes, on each side.
8. You can remove the hot pan from the oven and place the steaks in the pan, side by side.
9. Now start broiling them until you get the desired result. If you like them rare, cook for just 3-4 minutes.
10. If you like them medium, cook for 5-6 minutes.
11. And if you like them well-done, cook for 8-10 minutes.
12. Serve 5-7 minutes after the cooking is over.
In a Gas Oven
1. Set the oven temperature to the ‘broil’ mode, and then preheat for about 5 minutes.
2. There is a fold-down door under each oven, which is known as a broiler compartment. Open that door, and place the broiling pan in that compartment, which must be heated by now.
3. Let it heat for another 5 minutes, and after that, brush the steak with olive oil; just brush, and do not dip.
4. Now remove the broiling pan from the broiler, and put the steak on the pan.
5. It might be a bit difficult to replace the broiler now, so position it by first sliding the pan’s edges into the notches of the rack that are inside the broiler.
6. If the steak is near the heat, it will heat faster.
7. So, if you wish for a rare or medium steak, use the top notch. And if you like a it well-done, use the bottom notch.
8. Broil it for about 8 minutes on each side.
9. When well broiled, remove from the pan, season it with salt and pepper to taste, and leave it for 10 minutes.
In a Toaster Oven
1. Like the previous methods, first preheat the toaster to the broil setting, and then line the baking tray of the toaster with a foil, and keep aside.
2. Take some peppercorns, coarse salt, and grind or crush them.
3. Brush the steak with olive oil, and then press the coarse salt mixture on it.
4. Now place the prepared steak on the prepared tray inside the toaster oven.
5. Broil according to the above instructions. For medium-rare, keep the temperature 150°F and 170°F for a well-done steak.
So, now that you know these simple techniques to broil a steak at home, do try them out and surprise your family. Enjoy!