Have you ever wondered how long to boil potatoes while using them in recipes? Take a look at some information about the duration of boiling potatoes before consuming them.
There are many recipes which involve potatoes in one form or the other. Some require them to be mashed, while some need them chopped. If you use raw potatoes directly, they can take a longer time for cooking. But if they are boiled in advance and then used for these potato recipes, you might save time as well as effort. To make this more convenient for you, we have a few suggestions on how long does one have to boil potatoes in order to save their cooking time.
Boiling Potatoes for Mashed Potatoes
- You have to first make sure to use the right kind of potatoes.
- The best ones which are generally used to make instant mashed potatoes are the Yukon gold potatoes, as they have medium starch content.
- Wash the potatoes, peel them, boil the water, and also add 1 teaspoon of vinegar to maintain the original color of the potatoes.
- The cooking time for these is about 20 minutes and after that, test each with a fork. If they are bigger in size, boil them for 10 more minutes.
- When the fork is easily inserted in the potatoes, drain them, and mash them to be served.
Boiling Potatoes for Potato Salad
- Potato salad doesn’t need very soft potatoes, as they have to be cut into pieces. For the salad, you can use any kind which are large in size and slightly more in starch content.
- Once you have selected them, wash, peel, and slice them in one fourths, lengthwise.
- Boil them for about 10 to 15 minutes. As these potatoes do not have to be very soft like the mashed ones, you can test them with a fork after 10 minutes.
- If they are not soft enough, boil them for 5 more minutes, and then test them. Drain the water and leave them to be cooled. Serve them by preparing some delicious cold potato salad recipes!
Boiling Potatoes in a Microwave
- Microwaving is a much faster mode of cooking and boiling food. Instead of using gas, you can put the bowl of water with potatoes in the microwave and get them cooked instantly.
- Wash the potatoes, cut them into pieces, put them in a bowl of water, and add a teaspoon of olive oil to the water. This will keep them from boiling over and you won’t need to cover the container.
- Cook them on high medium for 5 minute intervals and check them after every interval by piercing a fork. Once they are cooked, remove the potatoes and serve them hot. This is the easiest technique for boiling the potatoes, as it takes less than 10 minutes to cook them.
With these easy methods, you will know the duration of boiling the potatoes before cooking or consuming any of their preparations. The duration mentioned in the article may vary by 5 minutes or so, as you have to be sure they are cooked well before consumption.