Sesame oil lends a distinctive flavor to food and has many health benefits as well. This Tastessence article brings you some amazing recipes that use this oil.
Sesame was cultivated more than 5000 years ago and is still popularly used as an ingredient in different cuisines. It is also used in Ayurveda, which is a traditional natural healing practice of India.
Sesame is among the oldest seeds that is being used by man. These seeds have their origin in India. However, it is used widely from the Middle East and Africa to Asia. It is amber in color and has a distinctive aroma. It is made by pressing toasted sesame seeds. You will come across the use of this oil in a number of Indian and Chinese recipes. It is also used to make marinades, salad dressings, etc.
There are some recipes and dishes that demand the use of a couple of drops of the oil in them just before they are served. It adds a nutty flavor and crunch to desserts and various other main course dishes. It prevents burning and also seals the nutrients in when the food is cooked in it. It can also be used for sautéing, baking, pan-frying, etc. Check out some recipes given below that make use of this oil.
Recipes that Use Sesame Oil
- Chicken Wings, 2 pounds
- Dark Soy Sauce, 10 tablespoons
- Crushed Garlic, 1 clove
- Green Onion, 1
- Sesame Oil, ¼ cup
- Light Soy Sauce, 5 tablespoons
- Water, 1¼ cups
- Chop the green onion finely.
- Cut the chicken wings into pieces according to your choice.
- In a large pan, rub crushed garlic onto the chicken wings and keep it aside for 15-20 minutes.
- Then add dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, and green onion to the chicken and place the pan on heat.
- If you are not in a hurry, you can let all the ingredients sit for 15-20 minutes, before you place it on heat.
- Stir all the ingredients together and let the chicken cook for about 15-20 minutes over low to medium heat.
- After the chicken is half cooked, add sesame oil to the chicken and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes over low heat.
- When the chicken is cooked, add a dash of oil to the it.
- Remove it from heat and serve hot with rice or bread.
- Peanut Butter, 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable Oil, 1 tablespoon
- Toasted Sesame Oil, 1 teaspoon
- Thin Spaghetti, ⅓ pound
- Sesame Seeds, 1 tablespoon
- Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoons
- Cayenne Pepper, a pinch
- Scallion, 1
- Cook spaghetti to al dente. When cooked, drain it and let it cool for some time.
- Till spaghetti is cooking, chop the scallion.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk peanut butter, cayenne pepper, sesame oil, vegetable oil, and soy sauce till they mix well together.
- Then add in the spaghetti to the mixing bowl and toss till it is well coated with the mixture.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and scallion on the noodles to garnish it.
- Rice Vinegar, 2 tablespoons
- Honey, 4 teaspoon
- Sesame Oil, 2 teaspoon
- Soy Sauce, 1 tablespoon
- Peas, 1 cup
- Carrots, sliced, 1 ½ cup
- Chunks of Chicken, 1 can
- Lettuce, for garnishing
- Blanch both sliced carrots and peas.
- Drain the chicken chunks.
- In a mixing bowl, mix rice vinegar, honey, sesame oil, and soy sauce together.
- Then add peas, carrots, and chicken to the mixing bowl and toss to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Cover the mixing bowl and let it refrigerate till it is time for you to serve.
- Garnish with lettuce and serve.
Apart from imparting a great flavor to food items, it has numerous health benefits. Although calories can be an issue, you still can use it in moderation so that you won’t have to compromise on the goodness of this oil.