Ginger is the edible part of the plant Zingiber Officinale. It is regarded as one of the most important spices and is used in almost all the global cuisines. What is called the 'ginger root' is actually the stem of the plant which grows under the ground. Here is an easy recipe for preparing a puree.
- Ginger, 5 pieces (about 2" long and 1" wide)
- Lemon Juice, 2 tbsp.
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Sugar, 1 tsp.
- Grate the pieces of ginger and blend them finely in a blender for about 30 seconds. You must form a thick paste.
- Do not throw away the juice that will get generated during the grating and blending process.
- Add the salt and sugar, and blend for another 10 seconds.
- Add the lemon juice and stir well, or blend for another 5 seconds.
- Take the puree and fill it in an air tight container. Refrigerate it in the freezer till you need it.
- It is essential that you do not not make a huge batch of this paste, as it tends to get spoiled easily.
- When you take a batch out of the freezer, do not put it back in and re-freeze. The puree will lose its flavor over time. Use it up, and make a fresh batch and then freeze it in the refrigerator.
- A batch should typically be used over a period of 3 to 4 weeks.
So, you see it is extremely easy to prepare ginger puree if you have all the required ingredients. Now you can use freshly prepared puree every time and do not need to buy the artificial ones from the market.