Grenadine is actually a red colored sweet syrup which is used in making cocktails. The word grenadine comes from a French word grenade which means pomegranate. It is also said that the name is derived from the place where it was invented, the mainland of Granada. When mixed with any cocktail, it not only gives it a pinkish red color, but also adds taste to the drink. Hence, it is used in most of the cocktails. There are almost 500 drinks which have grenadine as one of their constituents.
What is Grenadine Made From
Grenadine is generally made from pomegranates. But it can also be made from cherry, redcurrant, blackcurrant, raspberry, blackberry, etc. Though all these fruits will give you the same color, the taste may depend upon the fruit which is used. Its preparation is very easy. The seeds of the pomegranate are mixed with sugar and boiled till they take the form of a thick syrup. This syrup is then used in different cocktails.
In the olden days, grenadine was very famous with the combination with gin. But later on, it was experimented with different drinks, and became a very important part of the cocktail world. Nowadays, grenadine is famous for its use with vodkas and tequilas. Apart from preparing grenadine at home, you can also get packed grenadine. But this packed grenadine is usually made from artificial ingredients and flavors with high fructose corn syrup.
How to Make Grenadine at Home
Grenadine can be prepared at home quite easily. At home you can get the real tart taste with the proper color too. You can make grenadine syrup and can store it for many days. You can also use it in cakes and ice creams to increase flavor and to add color. So, now get the following ingredients and start the preparation of this tasty syrup.
- Good quality pomegranates
- Food color (if required)
- First of all, get all the required ingredients from the market. Select only ripe pomegranates.
- Now remove the membrane and skin and separate each and every seed.
- Now take these seeds in a container and simmer till all the juice sacs break and release their juice. Keep stirring the solution during the entire process.
- Now take the container and cover it with a cheesecloth-layer. Now pour the seeds with the solution. This will allow the water to get into the container and the seeds will be left out. Now take the cloth and tightly squeeze it so that all the juice comes out and only seeds are left inside the cloth.
- Now again put the pomegranate juice on the flame of the stove and add an equal amount of sugar to it. After adding sugar, boil it for 1 minute and then reduce the flames and keep it in simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Now cool it down at room temperature. If you are preparing grenadine drink at home then you may not get the same color as you get in the packed bottles. Hence if you want the same color then you need to add some artificial food colors. So, if you are adding color to it then add it after it cools down.
This syrup is used is many of the best cocktails. The home grenadine recipe may not taste as sweet as the packed bottle grenadine which is available in the market. Hence, in order to get the same taste, mix more sugar.