People turn to veganism for health reasons, ethical reasons, environmental reasons and so forth. Whatever the cause maybe, being a vegan leaves you with little choices for treating your palate. As many food options get eliminated from the menu, there is a bleak hope of experimentation. However, if you really like cookies, you don't have to give up on those just because you are going the vegan way. Try the vegan sugar cookies recipes, to treat the sweet tooth once in a while. They are very easy to make and taste good to eat. Let's take a look at some of these cookies recipes.
Easy Vegan Sugar Cookies Recipes
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg replacements
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup vegan margarine, room temperature
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Mix cream, vegan margarine and sugar in a bowl. Beat them together, till they get light and fluffy. The mixture should have a soft texture and all the ingredients must be well blended.
- Follow the instruction of the egg replacement packet to liquefy it.
- Now, add the vanilla extract to the margarine mixture and beat it well. Add the egg replacement too and mix all the ingredients well.
- In another bowl mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Now combine both the mixture, in one single bowl to make your dough.
- Once your dough is ready, pour in an airtight container and refrigerate it for 1½ - 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 350ºF / 177ºC.
- Roll out the cold dough on your cooking platform and make a thin layer out of it.
- Cut the dough in shapes of your choice. You can use a mold or a knife to do it.
- Prepare a baking sheet, by lightly dusting a thin layer of flour on it.
- Place the cut out dough on the baking sheet and bake for about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat, once the dough starts turning light golden.
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine at room temperature.
- Lemon juice, or soy milk or water
- 1½ cups of sifted powdered sugar
- Salt to taste
- In a mixing bowl, pour out the vegan margarine, sugar and water (or whatever liquid you have picked).
- Mix all these ingredients together. Sometimes the sugar crystals do not completely dissolve. For a good consistent frosting use a hand mixer.
- Colorful frosting will make your cookies look attractive. So, if you want to make them decorative, use a little bit of natural food color.
So this was the basic recipe for vegan sugar cookies. You can make variations in these cookies by changing the flavor and the frosting. Being a vegan does not mean you have to avoid alcohol. Adding a dash of vodka, rum or coffee liqueur to your frosting preparation. This will make those freshly baked cookies the perfect munchies for the adult tea party. However, if you are baking cookies for the kids, top them with berries and a bit of beet juice for the dramatic color effect. Fruity frosting will make your cookies high in nutrition too.
A vegan diet has numerous health benefits. The primary benefit of going is that, it totally reduces the consumption of saturated fats, which are mostly found in dairy and animal products. Vegan meal are rich in fiber, which helps in cleansing the body and keeping its metabolism in check.
A vegan diet includes lot of vitamins C and E, which improves body's immune system and strengthens it again most of the common illnesses. With so many benefits of vegan diet, it is only ethical to change your diet plans to a healthy one as such. Add these vegan sugar cookies to your snack between the meals, to make vegan diet more enjoyable!