Butternut squash belongs to the cucurbita moschata family. In Australia and New Zealand, it is commonly known as butternut pumpkin. This squash is as much a winter squash and as a summer squash. Like pumpkin, it also has a nutty taste, yellow skin and orange fleshy pulp. As the fruit ripens, it becomes deep orange in color and has a sweeter taste. There are different ways in which the fruit can be eaten. It is often roasted and toasted.
To make a soup, butternut squash is pureed or mashed. It is also used to make casseroles, muffins and bread. It should be a part of a regular diet, for it is rich in vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, vitamin A and vitamin E. It is also rich in fiber. In this write up, we will learn how to make butternut squash soup for vegans. It is easy to make and makes for a meal in itself.
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup Recipes ...
- 2 small butternut squash, de-skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion diced
- 4 carrots sliced
- 3 stalks celery, diced,
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup soy milk
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped sage
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper as per taste
- Sauté onion and garlic in a soup pot, till the onion is soft, but not brown.
- When the onion is done after about 3 to 5 minutes, add carrots and celery to the onion and cook the mixture further for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the butternut squash pieces to the mixture and stir well, so that the squash pieces are well coated.
- Then add sage and stir well again.
- Vegetable broth should now be added to the pot.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over low heat temperature. Let the mixture cook for 20 to 25 minutes, till the squash pieces are soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and use a masher to mash the squash pieces, till they are soft.
- At last add soy milk, salt and pepper to the soup, stir well and serve the butternut squash soup warm.
- 1 small butternut squash de-skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 cube vegan bouillon dissolved in water
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 1 stalk green onion, chopped
- 1-2 pieces baked tofu, cut into pieces
- 3½ tbsp silken tofu
- 1 carrot sliced
- ½" minced fresh ginger
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups hot water
- Sauté onions in olive oil, till they are translucent.
- Add squash and sauté for 30 seconds and then add sliced carrots and sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add ginger and spices to the pot and stir well.
- Add water to the pot and let the mixture come to a boil and then reduce the heat and let the squash cook for 18 to 20 minutes till squash is soft.
- Remove from heat and mash squash till soft.
- Then add silken tofu and mash again.
- Garnish with green onions and baked tofu and serve immediately.
Coconut Milk Recipe
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, de-seeded and cubed
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper as per taste
- In a sauce pot, heat olive oil and add chopped onions and sauté them, till translucent.
- Add carrots and sauté for about a minute.
- Then add butternut squash and let it cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add vegetable broth, cover the pot and let it come to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Remove from heat and smash the ingredients with a potato masher.
- Add coconut milk, salt and pepper and serve immediately.
These were some recipes to make vegan butternut squash soup. The soup is rather rich in nutrients, therefore you will not have to be worried about the calories in this soup and let's not forget the fiber content in it. If you see some butternut squash soup recipes, you will see that they ask for the squash to be pureed, however, it is best to smash the soup for the fiber content in it.