Relish Recipe Ideas Using Green Tomatoes
- Large green tomatoes: 25
- Red and green bell peppers (seeded and halved): 2 of each
- Green bell peppers (seeded and halved): 3
- Cider vinegar: 2 cups
- Salt: 1 tablespoon
- Large onions: 13
- Mustard seeds: 3 tablespoons
- Celery seeds: 3 tablespoons
- Sugar (preferably white): 5 cups
- Begin by blending the green tomatoes, red and green bell peppers and onions in a blender. Ensure that you get a coarse mixture.
- Once the blend is ready, drain the excess water of the mixture by lining a large colander with muslin or cheesecloth and leave the mixture for about an hour.
- Next, take a large container and mix the blend with the mustard seeds, celery seeds, salt, sugar and vinegar. Boil the contents and cook the mixture on simmer for about five minutes.
- Now pour this tomato relish in sterilized containers and tightly screw the lids.
- Next, fill half of another large container with water and let it boil.
- Then, place the bottles of the tomato relish within the container. Make sure that the bottles are at least two inches apart. The water level should be above the lids of the bottles.
- Bring the water to boil and cover for about half an hour.
- Take out the bottles from the container and leave them on a wooden surface to cool. The bottles should be kept at least five inches away from each other.
- On cooling, make sure the bottles are air-tight. Your green tomato relish is ready.
- Green tomatoes: 2
- Red tomatoes: 2
- Sherry vinegar (or red wine vinegar): 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil: 2 tablespoons
- Salt and pepper: to taste
- Chopped parsley: 1 tablespoon
- Butter: 2 tablespoons
- Little semolina flour or yellow cornmeal
- To begin with, rinse and cut the green tomatoes to make half-inch slices.
- Now sprinkle the slices with salt and pepper on both sides. Lay the slices on a tissue and leave for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the red tomatoes in 2 halves and squeeze them in a strainer to get the juice.
- Then, the tomatoes are to be coated with semolina or yellow cornmeal.
- Take two tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan and cook the tomatoes on both sides until golden brown. This will take about ten minutes. The frying pan you use should be about ten inches thick and use medium flame for cooking.
- Empty these slices onto a plate.
- In another pan, melt butter and add the tomato juice and vinegar followed by the tomato slices. Stir continuously for a couple of minutes.
- Now add the chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste. Let it cook for another two minutes and voila! Your relish is ready!
Note: Quantities mentioned for this recipe are for preparing a green tomato relish for 1 serving. These may be changed according to one's need.
Use these recipes and enjoy the relish throughout the year along with bread, hot dog etc. Or let the kids eat it out of the jar! Go ahead and relish the green tomato relish.