Hawaiian sunfish, St. Peter's fish, or Tilapia, call it by any name, but there is no doubt that this has become one of the most famous foods in Mexican cuisine. Tilapia is a sweet flavored freshwater fish which is mostly raised in farms. A popular Mexican food, these fish tacos have been slowly making a good fan base in the US. Although the fish is new in America, it has been used as food in Asia and Africa since ancient times.
Among the various Tilapia recipes, fish tacos is the most popular one. It is widely served as a healthy snack in almost all Mexican food joints. Tilapia fish tacos recipe is regarded a healthy substitute for weight watchers due to the rich content of omega-3 fatty acids.
Original Recipe Fish Tacos
Tacos never tasted so good. Including the Tilapia in your favorite tacos makes it tasty and something to die for. So, let's have a look what is required to create this delicious wonder.
- Tilapia fillets, 4
- Alfredo sauce, 1 cup
- Butter, 3 tbsp
- Olive oil, 2 tbsp
- Creole seasoning, 1 tbsp
- Garlic, 2 cloves (minced)
- Preheat an oven to 425°F.
- Now brush the fillets with oil on both sides and mix it in creole seasoning, to taste.
- Now place these fillets in a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Bake the fish fillets until the flesh is no longer slippery and flakes easily with a fork. This would take about 10 minutes.
- Take a medium sauce pan and melt the butter over medium flame. Add the minced garlic and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the Alfredo sauce and bring it to a simmer.
- Bring the flame to low and pour the sauce over the fish.
- Serve hot, and for extra flavor add creole seasoning.
Grilled Fish Tacos
Adding a grill brings more flavor to the fish and the tacos. If you're thinking of grilling the tacos this weekend for family and friends, this recipe is just for you.
- Flour tortillas, 8
- Tilapia, 1 lb
- Pico de gallo or tomato salsa, 1 cup
- Lime juice, 1 cup
- Canola oil, ¼ cup
- Fresh cilantro leaves, ¼ cup (chopped)
- Ancho chili powder, 1 tbsp
- Jalapeño,1 (coarsely crushed)
- Lettuce, shredded white cabbage, chopped tomatoes, chopped onion, grated cheese, and corn for garnish
- Hot sauce and sour cream to serve
- Heat the grill on a medium flame.
- In a medium-sized dish mix together lime juice, ancho chili powder, oil, cilantro, and jalapeño, now add the fish and mix well. Allow this mixture to marinade for half an hour.
- Remove the fish from the marinade and grill it. Make sure you grill the flesh side for 4 minutes and the opposite side for 30 seconds.
- Now grill the tortillas for 30 seconds each.
- Divide the fish pieces between the tortillas and garnish the tacos with lettuce, cabbage, tomatoes, onion, corn, cheese, pico de gallo or salsa, sour cream, and hot sauce.
Tacos with Arugula
Tilapia fish tacos with arugula is a fusion in which Vietnamese and Mexican cultures are combined. So let's try this mouth-watering recipe now.
- Tilapia fish fillets, 4
- Young arugula leaves, 4 cups (thoroughly rinsed and dried)
- Pecans, ½ cup (chopped)
- Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, ¼ cup (grated)
- Extra virgin olive oil, ¼ cup
- Garlic, 2 cloves (minced)
- Black pepper, ½ tsp (ground)
- Fresh lime juice, a dash
- Sea salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
- Take 3 cups of arugula leaves, garlic, pecans, olive oil, and ¼ cup Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, black pepper, and lemon juice in a blender and blend well until it becomes thick like pesto sauce.
- Now spread ½ cup arugula leaves in the baking dish and place the fish on them.
- Now pour the remaining blended mixture on the fillets and garnish it with Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 minutes and divide the fish pieces with the mixture equally in the tacos.
Grilled tacos is the best form of Tilapia fish tacos that you can have. If you are worried about the calories, then don't be, as the number is not more than 100. I hope the above recipes have made your mouth water. Do try them and leave your comments.