Thai fried rice, commonly known as khao phat, is typical to Central Thai cuisine. To translate khao phatd, khao stands for "rice" and phat means "something related to being stir-fried". To make the dish, instead of the long grain rice, Jasmine rice is used with ingredients like chicken, pork, beef, shrimp, crab, and eggs.
Khao Phat Kai - Chicken Fried Rice
- Jasmine Rice (cooked), 1 cup
- Onion (sliced), ¼ cup
- Garlic (finely chopped), 1½ tsp
- Scallions, 2 tbsp
- Tomato, 1
- Chicken, (cut in bite-size pieces), ⅓ cup
- Salt, ½ tsp
- White Soy Sauce, ½ tsp
- White Sugar, ¼ tsp
- Black Soy Sauce, ¼ tsp
- Cooking Oil, ½ tbsp
- Egg, 1
- White Pepper Powder, ¼ tsp
- Dice tomato into medium-sized pieces, julienne the onion, and chop scallions into fine pieces.
- Heat the oil on a high flame and add the onions in.
- When the onion turn translucent, add garlic and stir well.
- Now add the chicken pieces and cook until its cooked properly.
- At this point, add rice along with diced tomatoes, and mix well.
- Gather rice on one side of the wok and pour some oil on the empty side of the wok.
- When the oil heats up, crack an egg on the oil and let the bottom side cook a bit.
- With a spatula, scramble the egg and add soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and salt to it.
- Mix eggs along with the rice, stir everything properly, and turn the heat off.
- Place chicken rice in a plate and garnish with scallion greens and pepper powder.
- Serve with lime wedges and cucumber slices.
Khao Phat Kung - Shrimp Fried Rice
- Garlic (minced), 1½ tsp
- Green Onions (thinly slices), ½ cup
- Jalapeño (minced with the seeds), 4 tsp
- Cooked Jasmine Rice, 3 cups
- Sugar, 1 tsp
- Soy Sauce, 2 tbsp
- Fish Sauce, 2 tbsp
- Shelled and cooked Shrimp, 1¼ cups
- Fresh Cilantro (chopped), 1 cup
- Fresh Basil Leaves, 1 cup
- Toasted Sesame Oil, 1 tbsp
- Pour sesame oil into a wok and let it heat over medium flame.
- Add garlic, onions, and jalapeño chilies to the oil, and stir for a few minutes.
- Now add rice, sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce to the onions, and combine all the ingredients together.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add shrimp in. Cook for a few minutes (shrimp doesn't take a long time to cook).
- Once the shrimp is cooked, serve hot rice garnished with cilantro and sesame seeds. You can even serve with cucumber slices and lemon wedges.
Be sure to use a wok and not a pan to make the rice. It really helps get the flavors right.