Teri stands for shine or glaze given to the food by the sugar content in the sauce used for cooking, and yaki stands for the broiling or grilling the food. The ingredients used to make the sauce include soy sauce, mirin, and sugar or honey. Normally the ingredients are mixed together, boiled, and then reduced. The fish or meat is then marinated in the sauce before it is grilled or broiled. Other ingredients like sesame, garlic, and pineapple juice are also added to the sauce. However in traditional Japanese cooking, these ingredients are not added.
Teriyaki Chicken Breasts
- ¾ pounds chicken breasts
- 4 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp sake
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 to 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- Clean chicken pieces and using a fork, poke a few holes in it.
- In a mixing bowl, combine mirin, sake, soy sauce, and sugar together. Stir until sugar has dissolved completely.
- Pour the mixture on the chicken pieces, cover with plastic wrap, and place it in the refrigerator for an hour.
- In a frying pan, heat vegetable oil on medium heat and fry the chicken pieces till the skin turns brown on all sides.
- After the chicken is halfway cooked, pour the remaining marinade over the pieces.
- Cover the pan and cook on low heat till the sauce thickens.
- Once the chicken is ready, remove pan off the heat, and take the pieces out. Let it rest for 5 minutes, slice the pieces, and serve with rice.
Teriyaki Chicken Wings
- 16 chicken wings
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Scallion, for garnishing
- Wash the wings, pat them dry with paper towels, and remove the tips.
- Season with salt and pepper, and keep them aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Turn the broiler on and in a greased pan, place the wings. Keep the pan inside the broiler and let the pieces cook for 10 to 12 minutes on each side, till the wings are brown in color.
- In a mixing bowl, combine chopped onions, brown sugar, soy sauce, sherry, ginger, and garlic.
- After the chicken wings are done, place them in a crockpot and pour the mixture on top.
- Stir the mixture properly, cover the crockpot, and let the wings cook on low heat for 4 to 5 hours.
- Every 30 minutes, stir the wings to make sure they don't stick to the bottom of the pot.
- Once the wings are cooked perfectly, sprinkle scallions on top and serve warm.
Teriyaki chicken can be garnished using minced ginger as well. If you do not want to fry chicken, broil or grill it once you marinate it with teriyaki sauce.