'Falafel with tahini' is one of the most famous dishes in the world today. Tahini is nothing but a paste made from ground sesame seeds. Tahini sauce is made using this paste. This sauce is used with falafel or falafel pitas and burgers. Sesame paste is used in many different cuisines like the Indian cuisine, Chinese cuisine and the Middle Eastern cuisine. Tahini sauce is popular in the Middle Eastern cuisine. Here is an easy sauce recipe.
How to Make Tahini Sauce
Tahini sauce ingredients are minced garlic, tahini, salt and lemon juice (optional). You can also make use of yogurt if you like creamy sauce.
- Tahini paste ½ cup
- Crushed garlic cloves 3
- Olive oil 2 tablespoons
- Lemon juice ¼ cup
- Kosher salt ½ teaspoon
- Finely chopped parsley 1 teaspoon
- Mix tahini and garlic together in a food processor.
- Add the kosher salt to this mixture.
- Now add lemon juice and olive oil.
- If you find the mixture too thick, you can add some warm water with a help of a teaspoon and mix.
- Continue this till you get the desired consistency.
- The delicious and easy-to-make tahini sauce is ready.
Tahini Sauce with Falafel
- Dried and peeled fava beans 1 and ½ cups (you should soak them in cold water for full 24 hours)
- Dried chickpeas ⅓ cup (these also need to be soaked in cold water for full 24 hours)
- Finely chopped yellow onion 1
- Minced garlic cloves 2
- Minced cilantro leaves ¼ cup
- Minced parsley leaves ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil 3-4 tablespoon
- Ground coriander ½ teaspoon
- Ground cumin 1 teaspoon
- Baking powder 1 teaspoon
- Cayenne pepper ⅛ teaspoon
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Pita bread and tahini sauce for serving
- Firstly, you need to drain the fava beans and chickpeas that were soaked for 24 hours. Rinse them properly.
- In a food processor, add fava beans, chickpeas, onion, parsley, cilantro, garlic, ground coriander, cumin, cayenne and baking powder. Add salt to it.
- Mix this in the food processor to form a coarse paste. You can add water with the help of teaspoon to get the desired consistency.
- When a fine mixture is formed, place it in a bowl and keep aside for 30 minutes.
- Now, heat vegetable oil in a pan till it is very hot (for 1-2 minutes).
- Now take 1-2 tablespoons of the above (kept aside) mixture and make them into patties or balls with the help of your hands.
- Slide or gently put these balls into the hot oil one at the time. You can fry 3-4 falafel balls depending on the size of your pan.
- Fry them until crisp brown (for 2-2.5 minutes).
- When perfectly fried, transfer the falafel on tissue paper to absorb excess oil.
- You can follow the above given sauce recipe to make the sauce for falafel.
- Serve falafel with pita bread and tahini sauce.
Although people love this sauce, many calorie conscious people want to know how many calories are present in this sauce. Tahini sauce calories vary according to the recipe and the type. The basic sauce may contain 150-160 calories (per 2 tablespoons). If you are following the above recipe, the sauce may contain 130-140 calories (per 2 tablespoons). Thus, you can use the above sauce recipe and make a low calorie sauce at home. The sauce can also be served as a tasty dip.