Not only the Chinese but also the North Americans and Europeans use sweet and sour flavors while cooking. It is a fact that this sauce originated in China. Years back, the people of the New World used this sauce as a dip.
Many Chinese recipes use this sauce to pour over the meat and fish and also as a dipping sauce. Many people around the world savor the dish 'Cantonese sweet and sour pork'. Making the sauce involves a very simple procedure. Have a look!
Basic Sweet and Sour Sauce Recipe
Note: Use rice vinegar to get the best results. Instead of water you could use pineapple juice.
- Vinegar (white or rice), ½ cup
- Brown sugar/molasses, 4 tbsp.
- Soy sauce, 1 tbsp.
- Ketchup, 1 tbsp.
- Water, 4 tsp.
- Cornstarch, 2 tsp.
- Pepper to taste
- In a thick-bottomed pan, mix the ketchup, soy sauce, and vinegar well.
- Boil the mixture and add the cornstarch paste. Reduce the flame and stir quickly.
- Keep stirring till it becomes thick. Add pepper and turn off the flame.
- If you want to make the sauce thicker, increase the quantity of cornstarch.
- This sauce can be poured over a dish of cooked meat or vegetables. It is also used as a dipping sauce.
Cantonese Sweet and Sour Pork
This Chinese dish is popular and one of the fast-moving dishes in most Chinese restaurants in Europe and America.
- Carrot, 1
- Pork, 1 lb.
- Sweet and sour sauce, ¾ cup
- Pineapple chunks, ½ cup
- Red and green pepper bells, ½ cup each
- Soy sauce, 3 tsp.
- Cornstarch, ¼ tsp.
- Oil for deep-frying
- Egg white beaten,1
- Corn flour, ¼ cup
- Multipurpose flour, ¼ cup
- Lukewarm water, ¼ cup
- Vegetable oil, 1 tbsp.
- Cut the pork into 1-inch cubes, marinate with soy sauce and corn flour, and keep it for half an hour.
- In the meantime, peel and chop the carrot into 1-inch pieces. Remove the seeds from the pepper bells and cut them into cubes.
- To make the batter, sieve flour and corn flour. Put this in a bowl and stir in the vegetable oil and egg white. Mix well. Add water to make a thick batter.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, heat the oil for deep-frying.
- Dip the marinated pork in the batter and fry till it becomes golden brown. If the oil is overheated, you can reduce the flame.
- In another thick-bottomed pan, boil the sauce. Add cubed pepper bells, pineapple chunks, and carrots. Allow it to boil, stirring constantly. You can add pepper or salt to suit your taste.
- In a plate, arrange the golden brown pork cubes. Pour this sauce over the fried pork cubes.
- The sweet and sour pork dish could be served with various types of bread, such as naan or flavored or plain rice.
Sweet and Sour Sauce with Pineapple
- Pineapple juice, 4 oz.
- Tomato ketchup, ¼ cup
- White vinegar, ¼ cup
- Brown sugar, ¼ cup
- Worcestershire sauce, 1 tbsp.
- Corn flour, ¼ tbsp.
- Mustard powder, ½ tsp.
- Powdered dry ginger, ½ tsp.
- Garlic powder, ¼ tsp.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, mix all the above-mentioned ingredients. Bring this mixture to a boil on medium-high heat.
- Stir the mixture continuously till the sauce is thick.
- If you want to store this sauce, allow it to cool. Transfer it into a refrigerator jar and put it in the fridge.
So, do try these above recipes and elevate the taste of your Chinese dishes like never before. Happy cooking!