The Swedish meatballs form an integral part of the Swedish cuisine. In Sweden, they are called kottbular and are made by combining ground beef, pork, fried onions, breadcrumbs soaked in milk, and broth. This mixture is seasoned with salt and allspice before cooking them either by baking, frying, or steaming. The traditional way of serving this type dish is by cooking it with sauce which forms the gravy. Hence, here we will take a look at a variety of Swedish meatball sauce recipes which will definitely tingle your taste buds.
Tomato Wine Sauce Recipe
Tomato Wine Sauce Recipe
- Garlic, 4 - 5 cloves (minced)
- Egg, 1 (beaten)
- Tomatoes, 1 can (diced)
- Beef, 1 cup (ground)
- Bread crumbs, ¾ cup (soft)
- Dry red wine or beef broth, ⅓ cup
- Round pork, 8 oz.
- Onion, 4 oz. (chopped)
- Olive oil, 3 tsp.
- Parsley, 3 tsp. (regular)
- Cornstarch, 1½ tsp.
- Cumin, ½ tsp. (ground)
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- Red pepper, ¼ tsp. (ground)
- Nutmeg, ¼ tsp. (ground)
- Black pepper, ⅛ tsp. (ground)
- In a large mixing bowl, take beaten eggs and mix it with parsley, 3 to 4 garlic cloves, nutmeg, black pepper, cumin, red pepper, bread crumbs and ½ tsp. salt.
- When these ingredients are well combined, add ground beef and pork and mix again.
- Make small shaped balls with this mixture and set aside.
- Grease a 15 x 10 x 1 inch baking pan with a nonstick cooking spray and place the meat balls in them.
- Bake them for fifteen minutes at 350ºF.
- Once they are fully cooked, remove them from the oven and place on paper towels for drying. While they are kept for drying, one can start the process of making the sauce.
- For this, take olive oil in a saucepan and heat it on a medium flame.
- When the oil becomes hot, put in 1 clove of garlic as well as onion and fry for a few minutes till the onions become transparent.
- Add cornstarch to the skillet, followed by the beef broth or red wine.
- Add the undrained tomatoes and sprinkle salt over the sauce.
- Cook until it begins to thicken, while stirring constantly.
- When it becomes thick, add the baked meatballs and stir gently.
- Once this is done, take the skillet from the heat and place the dish in a serving bowl.
- Garnish it with some parsley and serve hot.
- Beef stock, ¼ pint
- Cream, ⅛ pint
- White flour, 3 tsp.
- Water, 1 tablespoon
- Soy sauce, ½ tsp.
- Salt and white pepper, as per taste
- In a deep bottomed pan, take beef stock and bring it to boiling point.
- When it boils completely, put in the cream and stir.
- This should be followed by flour and a tablespoon of water.
- Sprinkle salt and white pepper to this mixture and let the sauce cook on a low heat till it becomes thick.
- When you get the desired consistency, pour it over the cooked meatballs and serve.
- Packaged meatballs, 16 oz. (frozen)
- Pizza sauce, 14 oz.
- Apple jelly, 10 oz.
- Black pepper, 1 tsp. (freshly ground)
- Italian seasoning, 1 tsp.
- Salt, 1 tsp.
- Take pizza sauce in a skillet and add apple jelly to it.
- This should be followed by Italian seasoning, salt, as well as pepper.
- Cook on a medium heat and bring the mixture to a low boil.
- When this is done, add the frozen meatballs in the saucepan and stir once gently.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and let the sauce simmer on a low to medium heat for twenty to twenty five minutes. Do not forget to stir occasionally.
- When the meatballs are fully cooked, transfer it into a bowl and serve.
- Mushrooms with liquid, 4 oz. (1 can)
- Mushroom soup, 1 can (undiluted, low fat)
- Sour cream, 1 pint (low fat)
- Meatballs (cooked)
- Take mushrooms with liquid in a saucepan and add undiluted mushroom soup to it.
- Pour sour cream into this mixture and allow it to cook on a medium to low temperature.
- Stir it frequently until the liquid starts thickening.
- Once it reaches the desired consistency, take off from the flame and put the meatballs into the sauce.