A summer squash casserole is one of those dishes that you can never go wrong with. Whatever way you make it, it tastes great! And with the different varieties of summer squash, preparing a casserole is simply a delight! Go ahead, try these recipes and pamper your taste buds!
... with Sour Cream
For preparing a delicious summer squash casserole with sour cream, the following are what you will need.
- Sliced zucchini or yellow summer squash - 2 lbs.
- Sour cream - ½ cup
- Chopped onions - ¼ cup
- Cream of chicken soup - ¾ ounce of a soup can
- Shredded carrots - 1 cup
- Salt water - enough to boil onions in
- Butter - ¼ cup
- Stuffing seasoned with herbs - 2 cups
- Boil the salt water and cook the onions in it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, mix the soup and sour cream and add the shredded carrots.
- Drain the water from the onions.
- Fold the mixture of the carrots, soup, and sour cream into the squash and onions.
- Melt the butter into the herb stuffing and toss the mixture thoroughly.
- Spread half the stuffing in a baking tray. Then add a layer of the vegetable mix. Top it off with the remaining herb stuffing.
- Place the tray in the oven and bake at 350 degrees for half an hour.
... Tex Mex Style
This casserole is perfect for a spicy evening with your sweetheart! You'll need the ingredients listed below.
- Sliced summer squash (any variety) - 2¼ lbs.
- Chopped yellow onions - ¾ cup
- Chopped green chillies - One 4 ounce cup
- Chopped jalapeños - ½ cup
- Grated Cheddar cheese - ½ cup
- Flour - ¼ cup
- Mild salsa - ¾ cup
- Sliced spring onions - 4
- Finely chopped red onions - ¼ cup
- Salt - to taste
- Mix the yellow onions, jalapeños, chillies, squash, ¾ portion of the cheese, and salt in a big vessel.
- Dust the mixture with the flour and toss it to dust the other side.
- Transfer this mixture into the baking tray and cover it with aluminum foil.
- Bake it at a temperature of about 400 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes or until you can see the mixture bubbling.
- Remove the tray and spread the salsa generously over the mixture.
- Then spread the remaining cheese over the salsa.
- Once again, bake the mixture, this time without the aluminum foil, for about 25 minutes, till it turns golden.
- Once out, garnish the casserole with the spring onions and red onions.
... with Cheese
Forget about your weight for a bit and enjoy this cheesy casserole! For this scrumptious dish, you'll require the following.
- Sliced yellow squash - 2 lbs.
- Chopped onion - 1 cup
- Butter - 4 tablespoons
- Crumbled salted crackers - 1 cup
- Milk - 1 cup
- Shredded Cheddar cheese - 1 cup
- Bread crumbs (buttered) - 1 cup
- Salt water - to cook squash and onions in
- Seasoning of your choice
- Cook the squash and onions with salt and water in a closed sauce pan.
- Add water if and when necessary.
- Drain the water from the pan and add the butter to the squash and onions.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly.
- Add salt and seasoning according to your requirements.
- Add the salted cracker crumbs to the mixture.
- Take a baking tray and butter it. Put the squash mixture in the tray and pour the milk onto it.
- Add the cheese and bread crumbs and bake the mixture at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes while the squash absorbs the milk.