Mushrooms not only give flavor to a dish, but also provide nutrients like vitamins, minerals, and proteins. Not just that, they are also low in calories. Presented to you in this Tastessence excerpt are the most effective ways of storing this fungi.
Mushrooms that are not stored properly can cause food poisoning. Before storing these one should always clean them neatly. Unlike other vegetables, they should not be washed thoroughly under water as they are very absorbent. Instead, one should wipe them with a damp towel. If you have to rinse mushrooms, put them in a bowl of water, move them around with your hand for a few seconds, remove them out and pat them dry immediately with paper towels.
The following are a few ways to store mushrooms for a long time.
- The first step is to choose healthy mushrooms. They should be firm and look fresh. The under part of this fungi should be tightly closed, as this feature indicates young mushrooms.
- If you buy packed mushrooms, keep them in the box, but, this should be done only if you want to use them immediately or just after a couple of hours.
- If you buy them loose, then transfer them to a paper bag and fold the top loosely. Remember, they will get sweaty and start to decay, if they are kept in a plastic bag or container for long.
- Another simple way is to keep this fungi in the fridge. Do not forget to wrap them in paper towels.
- Storing wild mushrooms is a completely different story, and always pick those that are not poisonous.Once you have made sure that they are not poisonous, cut the damaged areas, wipe the soil away with paper towels and then soak them for a few hours in salt water.
- This will help to get rid of any insects that might have hidden between gills. Wash them thoroughly and use. You can store them in the same fashion as the normal mushrooms, by placing them in a paper bag in the fridge.
- Either freeze or dry the wild mushrooms if you are planning to store them for a long time. You can dry them in an oven or dehydrator, at 100-150°F. Once out of the oven they should be crisp, and should be stored in an airtight container.