Although, everyone would agree that spinach is good for health, getting people, especially children to eat it can be rather difficult. Here are a few delightful salad recipes that can make the task a little simpler.
With Strawberries and Pecans
- Spinach, 8 oz. (torn)
- Strawberries, 2 cups (cleaned and sliced)
- Pecan, ½ cup (lightly toasted pieces)
- Blue Cheese, 3 (crumbled)
- Salad Oil, ¼ cup
- Balsamic Vinegar, 2 tbsp.
- Granulated Sugar, 3 tsp.
- Tarragon, ¼ tsp. (dried)
- Onion Powder, ⅛ tsp.
- Garlic Powder, ⅛ tsp.
- Dry Mustard, 1 tsp.
- Toss the spinach along with the strawberries, pecans, and cheese.
- In another jar make the dressing by mixing oil, balsamic vinegar, sugar, tarragon, onion powder, garlic powder, and mustard. Shake well until the mixture is well blended.
- When you are ready to serve, sprinkle the dressing over the salad and toss a little.
- Fresh Spinach, ½ lb. (washed & torn)
- Mushroom, 2 cups (sliced)
- Red Pepper, 1 cup (chopped)
- Bacon, 5 slices
- Italian Dressing, ½ cup
- Combine all the vegetables in a large bowl and toss well. Stir in the bacon slices.
- Sprinkle the dressing before serving.
With Hard Cooked Eggs
- Spinach, 4 cups (washed & torn)
- Hard Cooked Eggs, 3 (chopped)
- Onion, ½ cup (chopped)
- Celery, ½ cup (chopped)
- Mayonnaise, ¾ cup
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese, ½ cup (shredded)
- Vinegar, 1 tsp.
- Salt, to taste
- Hot Pepper Sauce, 1 tsp.
- Combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, salt, hot pepper sauce, celery, onion, and eggs several hours before serving. Refrigerate the mixture.
- In a large bowl, toss spinach with cheese and the chilled dressing, just before serving.
- Spinach Leaves, 1 cup (washed, drained, and torn)
- Cucumber, 1 (unpeeled and sliced)
- Lettuce, 2 (small heads of leaf)
- Purple Onion, 1
- Walnut, ¾ cup (halves)
- Oranges, 2 (peeled and sliced)
- Salad Oil, ½ cup
- Orange Juice, ¼ cup
- Apple Cider Vinegar, 2 tbsp.
- Sugar, 2 tsp.
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Toss the lettuce with spinach and arrange the cucumber, onion, and oranges artistically over the tossed mixture.
- Toast the walnuts at 300° F, in an oven, turning the walnuts frequently. Do not over roast them and remember that they continue to turn brown even after they have been removed from heat.
- In another jar, mix oil, orange juice, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper to make the dressing.
- Spread the walnuts in a bowl and sprinkle the dressing over it. Toss lightly and serve.
Wilted Salad with Orange
- Fresh Spinach, 1 lb. (washed, dried, and chilled)
- Bacon, 8 slices (diced)
- Brown Sugar, 1 tbsp.
- Green Onions, ⅓ cup (sliced)
- Vinegar, 3 tbsp.
- Dry Mustard, ¼ tsp.
- Salt, to taste
- In a heavy skillet, fry the bacon until it becomes crisp.
- Reduce the heat and add sugar, onions, salt, vinegar, and dry mustard.
- Boil the paste and pour it over the salad.
- Toss it lightly and serve.