Soul food is the traditional cuisine of the African-Americans. It involves the use of a variety of ingredients such as meat, vegetables, breads, and beverages. Macaroni and cheese are popular as 'American comfort food'. Macaroni is a form of dry pasta; cheese is a rich source of calcium as well as protein and phosphorus. Check out the following delightful soul food macaroni and cheese recipes.
Macaroni and Cheddar Cheese
- Elbow macaroni, 1 box (about 16 ounces)
- Whole milk, 1 cup
- Cheddar cheese, (1½ pounds, shredded)
- Butter, 1 stick (unsalted and softened)
- Pepper, to taste
- Salt, a pinch
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Boil and cook the macaroni according to the package instructions. Drain the macaroni, and place it in the casserole plate.
- Add 1 pound of shredded cheddar cheese, softened butter, milk, salt, and pepper to taste. Mix all the ingredients. Add the remaining cheddar cheese over the top layer.
- Bake for nearly 1 hour until the top layer turns golden brown. Serve while hot.
Four Cheese Macaroni
- Elbow macaroni, (1 pound)
- Cheddar cheese, ½ cup (2 ounces, mild, shredded)
- Muenster or Gouda cheese, ½ cup (2 ounces, shredded)
- Monterey Jack cheese, ½ cup (2 ounces, shredded)
- Cheddar cheese, ½ cup (2 ounces, sharp, shredded)
- Velveeta, 1 cup (8 ounces, cut into small cubes)
- Half-and-half, 2 cups
- Vegetable oil, 1 tablespoon
- Eggs, 2 (large, lightly beaten)
- Butter, 8 tablespoons, (1 stick plus 1 tablespoon)
- Black pepper, 1⁄8 teaspoon (freshly ground)
- Seasoned salt, ½ teaspoon
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Boil a large pot of salted water over high heat, and add the macaroni and oil to it.
- Allow it to cook for about 7 minutes, until the macaroni becomes tender. Drain the water.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan, and add the macaroni to it.
- In another bowl, mix together mild and sharp cheddar, Muenster, and Monterey Jack cheese.
- Add half-and-half, cubed Velveeta, shredded cheese, and eggs to the macaroni. Sprinkle salt and pepper for seasoning.
- Transfer it to a lightly buttered casserole. Sprinkle it with the remaining shredded cheese and 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Bake for about 35 minutes, and serve hot.
Low-fat Macaroni and Cheese
- Elbow macaroni, (4 ounces, dried)
- Milk, 1⁄3 cup (fat-free)
- American cheese, 4 slices, (low-fat, about ¾ ounces each)
- Worcestershire sauce, ½ teaspoon
- Tub margarine, 2 tablespoons(light)
- Mustard, 1 teaspoon, (prepared)
- Red hot pepper sauce, 1⁄8 teaspoon
- Salt, 1⁄8 teaspoon
- In a large saucepan, cook the macaroni as per package instructions without the addition of salt and oil. Drain the water, and place the macaroni again in the saucepan.
- Add cheese, milk, margarine, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, hot pepper sauce, and salt to the saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat for about 8 - 10 minutes, until the cheese melts and the mixture becomes slightly thick. Keep on stirring frequently while cooking.
- Then remove it from the heat, and allow it to stand for about 5 minutes so that it becomes thicker. Serve hot.
A unique blend of macaroni and cheese can be an excellent choice for making various soul food recipes. With assistance from the above-mentioned recipes, prepare lip-smacking food and enjoy. Bon appétit!