Everyone enjoys a good smoked turkey, but a lot of people do not know how to prepare it. Here are some simple recipes for preparing delectable dishes.
- Turkey, 14 lbs.
- Brown Sugar, 2 cups (firmly packed)
- Hot Water, 2 cups
- Coarse Salt, 1½ cup
- Cold Water, 2½ qt.
- Peppercorns, 2 tsp.
- Bay Leaves, 5
- Garlic Cloves, 3 (halved)
- Chablis, 2 cups.
- Take the turkey and clean it. Remove the giblets and neck, which can be used for making stock or broth. Rinse it with cold water, pat it dry, and keep it aside. Now take the brown sugar, hot water, and salt in a large stock pot. Stir it till the sugar dissolves. Take the stock pot and place the turkey in it.
- Remove it from this brine, rinse with cold water, pat it dry, and keep it aside.
- Now prepare the charcoal fire. Let it burn for 15 minutes. Sprinkle the charcoal with soaked and drained wood chips. Place a water pan on the smoker and pour in the white wine. Add hot water to fill the pan.
- Place the turkey on the food rack with the breast down. Prop up the body, in order to allow air circulation in the body cavity. Now cover the meat with a lid and let it smoke for about 6 to 7 hours. Be careful to keep filling the water pan as and when needed. You know the meat is done when the drumsticks are easy to pull out.
With Apple Brine and Hickory
- Apple Juice, 2 qt.
- Brown Sugar, 1 lb.
- Kosher Salt, 1 cup
- Oranges, 3 (quartered)
- Fresh Ginger, 4 oz. (thinly sliced)
- Whole Cloves, 15
- Bay Leaves, 6
- Garlic Cloves, 6 (cleaned and crushed)
- Turkey, 14 lb.
- Vegetable Oil, (for brushing the meat)
- Hickory Chips, 1 package (that have been soaked in water for half an hour)
- Take a large pan and put it on high heat. Put apple juice, brown sugar, and salt in the pan. Let it come to a boil. Stir continuously, in order to melt the sugar and salt. Let this mixture cook for a minute or two and then remove it from heat. Skim off the foam and allow this mixture to cool off.
- Take a big 5 gallon plastic bucket or a container large enough to hold the turkey. Mix 3 qt. water, oranges, ginger, cloves, bay leaves, garlic, and apple juice mixture in this bucket.
- Take the turkey and remove all the fat from its cavity. Also remove the giblets and keep them aside for preparing the stock. Clean and rinse it thoroughly. Now, put it in the brine making sure that it is fully submerged. Put it in the refrigerator for 1 whole day.
- Now set up the grill properly. Make sure to read all the instructions regarding wood chips. Set the grill for indirect cooking and put it on medium heat.
- Now remove the turkey from the fridge. Take it out from the brine and pat it dry. Ensure that it is dries completely. Now tie its legs together with a cotton string.
- Take a brush, dip it in vegetable oil, and lightly coat it from outside. Then place it on a roasting rack that has been set inside a heavy-gauge foil pan. Let it cook indirectly over medium heat.
- After 40 minutes the wings should start turning golden-brown. Wrap it in an aluminum foil in order to prevent it from getting charred. You will know that the meat is cooked when its juices start running clear.
- After its cooked, keep it on a chopping board and cover lightly with an aluminum foil. Let it rest for 20 minutes, prior to carving.
- The drippings in the pan can be used to make a delicious gravy to go with the vegetables and mashed potatoes.
These are simple and easy recipes for preparing a delicious feast. So the next time you have guests over, impress them with your culinary skills.