The great thing about a shrimp salad is that it can hold its own among the most sophisticated of appetizers - while being super easy to make. Dish it out in martini glasses with the traditional un-peeled shrimp garnish, and it's the easiest hors d'oeuvre you're likely to find. Shrimp salad recipes are a dime a dozen and with a few variations here and there, you can come up with a twist on the traditional, as a signature style dish to add to your recipe repertoire.
The nutritional value of shrimp is high - they are good sources of Niacin, Iron, Phosphorus, Zinc, Vitamin B12, and Selenium, apart from being low in saturated fats, although they are high in cholesterol. Listed below are some simple recipes and variations on the traditional preparation that you can look through.
The following is a recipe for shrimp salad with mayonnaise. Remember to chill thoroughly before serving since this allows the flavors to meld well together. Although the dressing is typically mayonnaise, you could spice it up with a cocktail sauce - mix 2 parts mayonnaise with one part tomato ketchup and a dash of Tabasco to add a bit of a kick. For a slight departure from the norm, grill the shrimp with lemon juice and olive oil to get a grilled shrimp salad.
- Shrimp - 1 lb, cooked, peeled and de-veined
- Celery - 1 cup, chopped fine
- Carrot - 1, large, grated
- Spring onions - 1 cup, chopped fine
- Eggs - 3, hard-boiled, chopped
- Mayonnaise - ½ cup
- Iceberg Lettuce - 2 cups
- Lemon juice - of 1 lemon
- Salt - to taste
- Pepper - ½ tsp.
- Dry the shrimp thoroughly, and then chop them into bite-sized bits.
Place the shrimp, carrots, onions, and celery in a large bowl. Sprinkle over the seasonings and lemon juice, then add the mayonnaise and mix well. Chill for several hours.
- In a serving bowl, spread the lettuce to cover the base, then gently spoon the salad on top. Serve.
Shrimp Pasta Salad
This recipe is a more substantial variation on the basic salad and can serve as the main course of a meal. Although any pasta works, stick to separate shapes like penne or fusilli instead of long strands, like spaghetti or fettuccine; the following is a recipe for shrimp macaroni salad.
- Shrimp - 6 oz., cooked, peeled, de-veined, and chopped
- Macaroni - ½ cup
- Spanish onions - 1, medium, chopped fine
- Green pepper - 1, small, chopped fine
- Celery - 3 stalks, chopped fine
- Mayonnaise - ½ cup
- Tabasco - 2 tbsp.
- Tomato ketchup - 2 tbsp.
- Lemon juice - of ½ lemon
- Fresh parsley - 2 tsp.
- Paprika powder - ½ tsp.
- Salt - to taste
- Black pepper - ½ tsp.
- Fill a large pan with water and bring it a boil, add the macaroni, and cook till al dente. Drain.
- Dry the shrimp well and cut into small pieces. Place in a mixing bowl along with onions, pepper, celery, parsley, paprika, salt, and pepper powder.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the mayonnaise with the ketchup, lemon juice, and Tabasco. Pour over the shrimp and vegetable mixture.
- Add the macaroni and mix well. Chill for several hours before serving.
Shrimp and Grits Recipe
- Stone ground grits - 1 cup
- Butter - 4 tbsp.
- Cheddar Cheese - 2 cups, grated
- Bacon - 6 slices, chopped
- Shrimp - 1 lb, de-veined
- Lemon juice - 4 tbsp.
- Spanish onions - 1, medium, thinly sliced
- Garlic - 2 cloves, chopped fine
- Fill a large pan with about 4 cups of water, season with salt, and bring to the boil. Add the grits and cook till the water is absorbed for about 20 minutes. Stir in the butter and cheese.
- In a heavy-based skillet, fry the bacon till crisp, then remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on absorbent paper. In the same pan, sauté the onions and garlic lightly, then add the de-veined shrimp, and cook for no more than 3 minutes, turning frequently. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Toss well along with the bacon bits.
- Place a serving of grits in a bowl, then top it with the shrimp mixture.
Shrimp salad recipes are well loved and received by most, which makes them a great addition to any party menu. Take a look at some of the best recipes around to add to your collection, and try out variations till you reach one that you like best. Bon appetit!