Seaweed, also known as kelp, is mostly used in Japanese foods. Trying out various types of salads is real fun. Including these kelp benefits and adding more vegetables in preparation of the salad, makes it more nutritious. Also, it is a great immune system booster. Seaweed salads are best to have with seafood.
Recipe # 1
- Scallions (thinly sliced), 2
- Apple, 1
- Dried Wakame seaweed (you can use it whole or cut), ¾th oz.
- Soy sauce, 3 tbsp.
- Rice vinegar (not seasoned), 3 tbsp.
- Asian sesame oil, 2 tbsp.
- Chopped fresh cilantro, 2 tbsp.
- Sugar, 1 tsp.
- Finely grated peeled fresh ginger, 1 tsp.
- Minced garlic, ½ tsp.
- Soak seaweed in water for 5 minutes.
- You can cut the uncut wakame in wide strips of ½ inches.
- Drain the water.
- In a bowl, mix and stir together soy sauce, sesame oil, sugar, and ginger.
- Stir it till the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Now, cut the apple into pieces of say ¼ inches and add as a dressing along with seaweed, scallions, and cilantro.
- Toss and combine all the ingredients well.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Recipe # 2
- Medium tomato (use peeled and scoop out seeds, sliced), 1
- Cucumber (use peeled and scoop out seeds, sliced), 3 cups
- Dried hijiki seaweed, 1 tbsp.
- Scallion green or green onions, 1 tbsp.
- Rice vinegar, 3 tbsp.
- Soy sauce, 2 tbsp.
- Extra virgin olive oil (you can add according to your taste), 1 tbsp.
- Fresh chopped cilantro, ½ tbsp.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Rinse hijiki and soak in lukewarm water for 10 minutes or keep it soaked till you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- For the dressing, mix together rice vinegar, soy sauce, and freshly chopped cilantro in a bowl.
- Now, cut the seaweed into slices.
- Before cutting the seaweed, squeeze out excess water from the seaweed.
- Instead of having large pieces of hijiki, cut the seaweed into small pieces.
- You can chop it if you want.
- Now, toss seaweed with the dressing together and serve.
- Garnish it with olive oil according to your taste.
- This is a Japanese seaweed salad recipe.
Recipe # 3
- Dried hijiki Seaweed, 12 g
- Carrot, 1
- Cucumber, 1
- Courgette, 1
- White or red onion, ½
- Daikon or iceberg salad, ¼
- Fresh chives (chopped), 4 tbsp.
- Olive oil, 6 tbsp.
- Sherry vinegar, 2½ tbsp.
- Mustard, 1 tbsp.
- Soy sauce, 1 tbsp.
- Salt and black pepper, according to taste
- Soak the seaweed in a bowl with warm water for about 10 minutes.
- Till then, slice the cucumber and carrot into thin slices.
- Chop the salad roughly into large chunks.
- Now, place these vegetables and the salad in a bowl having ice-cold water for 15 minutes.
- Now, remove the seaweed from the water and allow it to drain till you make the vinaigrette.
- For the vinaigrette, mix mustard, sherry vinegar, soy sauce, olive oil, salt, and black pepper in the given quantities.
- Remove the vegetables from the ice-cold water and dry them properly with a paper towel.
- Thinly slice the salad. Combine together the dressing, seaweed and vegetables together with some cashew nuts and coriander leaves in a large bowl and serve it in a plate.
We hope all the recipes have tempted you enough. So, get started with one of them now!