It's a general tendency of kids to hog on junk or may be chocolates or spicy food. Many moms complain that their kids don't eat nutritious food or anything healthy like salads. But, there are ways by which you can fool around and surprise your kids by making them some interesting salads as a mid-meal snack. Salads are supposed to be highly nutritious foods containing lots of minerals and vitamins which include almost all the vegetables in raw forms. It is supposed to be a high fiber food. Salads are best for any age group especially for kids, since they are in their growing phase. Any salad consisting of high proteins like the boiled chicken or ham or egg salads or may be fish salads (tuna); and high carbohydrate content like vegetable salads or may be bean or potato salad would be very healthy. Also you would not want much of fat content so try to avoid mayonnaise or whipping cream. Instead just add salt pepper, honey, lime. This will surely taste awesome.
- What you need to do is just cook the pasta of your choice, by boiling and then draining it.
- Add corn or black beans, vegetables like carrots, green, yellow and red bell peppers, peas, broccoli, and mushrooms. Also add oregano, olives, lettuce leaves, chicken pieces if you are a non vegan etc. in it.
- In another bowl, you need to mix slight lime juice or orange juice and honey. Add salt and pepper. Add a bit of canola or olive oil and chili powder. The dressing for your salad is ready. If you want to use sauces as dressings, you can add mayonnaise sauce mixed with low-fat milk or mustard sauce or even tomato salsa.
- You can add grated or melted cheese since kids love it.
- Now just toss everything and your salad is ready.
Normally, kids and in general all of us, like to eat fruits. But if you can experiment and create some amazing fruit salad recipes for kids, nothing can beat it. For these type of salads, you need to add and toss different combination's of sliced or chopped fruits like bananas, apples, pineapples, oranges, strawberries, kiwis, grapes, papayas with salt and pepper. To make it more attractive, you can add dry fruits like the raisins, almonds, or nuts. They add to the nutritional value of the salad. Also, you can make use of mayonnaise sauce or whipping cream to decorate it further and also enhance the taste. You can add dried coconut as well.
The Honey Tortilla Salad
- Lime juice
- Olive oil
- Any combo of the salad items mentioned above
- The only effort you need to take in this is for making tortillas. These are small cakes; consisting of potatoes or onions within. Make tortillas according to your choice. You can buy them from the nearby market as well.
- Moisten them with a cloth so that they become flexible. Keep in the microwave if wanted.
- Fit the tortillas in cup muffin pans and bake them in oven for 20 minutes at 400ºF.
- Meanwhile, toss all the other ingredients in a bowl.
- Add them onto the tortillas which appear cup-shaped. Your salad is ready to eat.
To sum up, I would say that try your own recipes of salads for kids. The best part about salads is that you can choose any combination of the above ingredients and in either ways it's going to be healthy.