The practice of making rum cakes was popularized by the British. It was their own adaptation of a pudding, generally served at Christmas dinner as a dessert. The method of making the cake has undergone a sea change, thanks to the advancement in technology and also the change in the tastes, likes, and dislikes of the people. Also, people have moved on to more modern ways of cooking, rather than sticking to the traditional methods. Hence, even though most rum cake recipes involve using a pudding mix, the one mentioned here does not use it. The one given below is an easy recipe that anyone who is even slightly adept at baking can try out.
How to Make Rum Cake without Pudding
The first question that many will ask is how is it possible to make a cake that was originally a form of pudding, without using pudding? Here's a recipe that uses apples. Yes, that's right. We present to you an apple rum cake recipe below, which will tantalize your taste buds and have everyone asking for more. Try it out, it's sure to be a huge success.
Given below is a list of the things that you'll require to prepare this sumptuous cake. They're all very easily available at any supermarket or grocery store, so you shouldn't have to worry about finding them.
- All-purpose Flour - 2 cups
- Butter (unsalted) - 6 tsp
- Baking Powder - 1 tsp
- Cinnamon (ground) - 1 tsp
- Salt - 1 tsp
- Sugar (granulated) - 1 cup
- Nutmeg (freshly grated) - ½ tsp
- Vanilla Extract - 2 tsp
- Eggs (large) - 3
- Whole Milk - ½ cup
- Apples (Granny Smith) - 6
- Almonds (toasted, silvered) - ¼ cup
- Golden Raisins - ½ cup
- Rum - 1 cup
Method of Preparation
Once you have gathered all the ingredients mentioned above, you can begin. Given below are step-by-step instructions for the same. They're extremely easy, so nothing to fret about.
- First, soak the golden raisins in the rum. Immerse them completely, so that the flavor of the rum gets absorbed by the raisins.
- Keep this aside and get to the next step. Take the butter and the sugar and mix them well in a mixer. The result should be a smooth cream.
- Then, put the cream in a large mixing bowl and break the 3 eggs that you have and beat the mixture.
- Continue to beat until the solution turns a pallid shade of yellow and ribbons form when you lift the whisk.
- Now, switch your oven on and set it to preheat at 350 degrees F.
- In the meantime, you can mix the flour, the salt, and the baking powder.
- Use your hands to mix them properly and to remove any lumps that may form.
- Now, add this mixture to the egg and butter mixture and beat it vigorously.
- Then, add the milk to the batter and again whisk it thoroughly.
- Now, peel the six apples, remove the seeds, and cut them into small slices.
- Add the nutmeg, vanilla, and cinnamon to the batter and mix it again.
- Also, add the raisins that you had soaked in rum to this mixture and mix it properly. Do not throw away the rum.
- Now, add the sliced apples to the batter and fold them in. Continue to do this till the apples are mixed properly with the whole batter.
- Now, take the baking pan and grease and flour it.
- Take the batter and gently, pour it into the baking pan.
- Pour it evenly and place it in the oven that you have preheated.
- Keep it in the oven to bake for about 45 minutes.
- Alternatively, you can keep it in the oven till you can see a golden-hued crust on the top.
- When the time is up, remove the cake from the oven and let it cool down for some time.
- Poke tiny holes in the cake and use a brush or pour the remaining rum on the cake. Let the cake absorb the rum completely and then serve it with ice cream.
We're sure you can't wait to try out this recipe. So get a move on and buy all the required ingredients and bake yourself the best rum cake even without using a pudding mix in it.