Evaporated milk, also known as dehydrated milk, is made by boiling milk until 60% of the water content evaporates. It is available in full-fat, non-fat, and low-fat varieties. It is used in place of regular milk to add richness to the recipe. It is about the same consistency as that of cream. It contains only the natural sugars present in milk. You cannot interchange sweetened condensed milk and evaporated condensed milk in a recipe. Flavor-wise, they are opposite, as condensed milk is too sweet and dehydrated milk is not that sweet.
It can be used in any recipe where milk is required. But do not use it as a substitute for sweet condensed milk. You'll end up preparing a gourmet disaster! You can add ½ cup of water to this type of milk to turn it into regular milk.
- Sugar: 3 cups
- Chopped nuts: 1 cup
- Butter: ¾ cup
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips: 340 g
- Marshmallow crème: 198 g
- Evaporated milk: ⅔ cup
- Vanilla: 1 tbsp.
- Mix sugar, butter, and milk in a heavy 2½-quart saucepan. Heat on a high flame till it reaches a roiling boil. Stir constantly.
- Continue boiling for 5 minutes over medium heat, and keep stirring.
- Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate till it melts.
- Add marshmallow crème, nuts, and vanilla; beat till blended.
- Pour into greased 13 x 9-inch baking pan. Cool and cut into pieces.
Baked Potato Soup
- Baked potatoes: 2 large or 3 medium
- Evaporated milk: 1 can
- Chicken broth: 1 can
- All-purpose flour: ¼ cup
- Chopped onion: ¼ cup
- Butter: ¼ cup
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add chopped onions, and stir occasionally. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in flour. Gradually, add the chicken broth and milk.
- Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato, and mash it. Do not discard the potato skin. Add this pulp to broth mixture.
- Cook the broth over medium heat, stirring occasionally till the mixture comes just to a boil.
- Dice remaining potato skin and potatoes to the soup. Heat the soup.
- Season with salt and ground black pepper.
Asian Noodle Soup
- Evaporated milk: 375 ml
- Green prawns: 300 g (peeled and deveined)
- Tofu: 250 g (firm, cut into cubes)
- Thin egg noodles: 200 g
- Bean sprouts: 125 g
- Snow peas: 100 g
- Olive oil spray
- Fresh coriander leaves: ¼ cup
- Water: 1 cup
- Onion: 1 (finely chopped)
- Garlic: 1 tbsp. (finely chopped)
- Ginger: 1 tbsp. (finely chopped)
- Red chili: 1 tbsp. (chopped)
- Chicken stock powder: 1 tsp.
- Turmeric: ¼ tsp.
Method of Preparation
- Spray olive oil in a large pan and heat.
- Add the onion, and cook over medium heat for 3 minutes till soft.
- Add the garlic, ginger, chili, and turmeric, and stir-fry for about 30 seconds.
- Add the milk, water, and stock powder to the pan. Stir the onions and spices from the bottom of the pan.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce the flame to low, and add the tofu and prawns.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes or till the prawns are opaque.
- In the meantime, cook the noodles and divide them between 4 bowls.
- Pour the soup over, dividing the tofu and prawns evenly. Garnish with snow peas, sprouts, and coriander.
Chicken and Mushroom Crepes
Ingredients for Crepes
- Eggs: 2
- Evaporated milk: 1 cup
- Plain flour: 1 cup
- Water: ¼ cup
- Oil spray
- Chicken breast: 500 g (fillet, sliced)
- Sliced mushrooms: 200 g
- Evaporated milk: 2 cups
- Green shallots: 4 (sliced)
- Grated cheese: ½ cup
- Plain flour: ¼ cup
- Oil: 2 tbsp.
- Mix the eggs, milk, flour, and water.
- Heat a frying pan, and spray with oil. Pour ¼ cup crepe mixture into the pan. Swirl to coat and cook. When golden, turn and cook the other side. Remove from pan, and cook remaining crepes.
- Preheat oven to 200o C.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, and cook chicken and mushrooms for 4 minutes.
- Add the flour and milk, and bring the mixture to boil. Stir and simmer for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Add in green shallots and cheese.
- Divide filling evenly between crepes, roll up or fold, and place it in a baking dish. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes or until hot and the cheese melts.
Explore your culinary art using dehydrated milk recipes. These simple, easy-to-cook recipes will entice the taste buds of your loved ones. Have a great time preparing recipes using this type of milk and satisfy your pangs of hunger.