Rattlesnakes are one of the most venomous snakes in the world and are identified by the rings at the tip of their tail, called a rattle. They make a rattling sound with it as a warning to their predators. Rattlesnake meat has been a delicacy in some parts of North America for a long time. It is also used as a popular medicinal remedy.
The meat is pretty tough, but it can be consumed if cooked, properly. People eat it as a part of various dishes. Even canned rattlesnake meat is a favorite among people. In Texas where rattlesnake meat became popular in the 1950s, people consumed it as a barbecue or as a main ingredient in chili.
- The meat should be cut into thin slices, using a sharp knife. Beat the slices with a tenderizer for a few minutes.
- Place these in a baking tray and season them with salt.
- Now, fill the tray halfway with water, before covering it with a lid.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Place the baking tray in it and bake the meat for about 60 minutes. Once done, remove the lid and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the meat with some tortilla chips and salsa, on the side.
- ½ cup Italian virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup Tennessee whiskey
- ⅛ cup fresh pineapple juice
- ½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup Roland Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 large garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (crushed)
- To a large mixing bowl, add the Italian virgin olive oil, soy sauce, fresh pineapple juice, garlic cloves, Tennessee whiskey, red pepper flakes, dried basil, brown sugar, and coarse ground black pepper.
- Mix them up together and seal the bowl with a lid or an aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1½ hours.
- Coat the fresh rattlesnake meat with this marinade and allow it to stand for at least 4 hours.
Rattlesnake Meat Facts
- Rattlesnake meat should never be eaten raw, even if it is dried.
- The meat contains deadly parasites like salmonella bacteria, that have been reported to harm humans when eaten. Hence, make sure that the meat is thoroughly cooked before consuming it.
- For some people, it tastes like chicken, while for others, it tastes like frog legs.
- This meat is easier to find online rather than in local supermarkets or grocery stores.
- Before you cook the meat, wash it, thoroughly. You can use cold water while you do this.