Wondering how to cook rattlesnake meat at home? Well, here are some recipes on how to cook it that might help you.
Rattlesnakes are one of the most venomous snakes in the world and are identified by the rings at the tip of their tail, called a rattle. They make a rattling sound with it as a warning to their predators. Rattlesnake meat has been a delicacy in some parts of North America for a long time. It is also used as a popular medicinal remedy.
The meat is pretty tough, but it can be consumed if cooked, properly. People eat it as a part of various dishes. Even canned rattlesnake meat is a favorite among people. In Texas where rattlesnake meat became popular in the 1950s, people consumed it as a barbecue or as a main ingredient in chili.
- The meat should be cut into thin slices, using a sharp knife. Beat the slices with a tenderizer for a few minutes.
- Place these in a baking tray and season them with salt.
- Now, fill the tray halfway with water, before covering it with a lid.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Place the baking tray in it and bake the meat for about 60 minutes. Once done, remove the lid and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
- Serve the meat with some tortilla chips and salsa, on the side.
- ½ cup Italian virgin olive oil
- ⅛ cup Tennessee whiskey
- ⅛ cup fresh pineapple juice
- ½ tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- 1 cup Roland Soy Sauce
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar
- 3 large garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 pinch dried basil
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes (crushed)
- To a large mixing bowl, add the Italian virgin olive oil, soy sauce, fresh pineapple juice, garlic cloves, Tennessee whiskey, red pepper flakes, dried basil, brown sugar, and coarse ground black pepper.
- Mix them up together and seal the bowl with a lid or an aluminum foil.
- Refrigerate the mixture for 1½ hours.
- Coat the fresh rattlesnake meat with this marinade and allow it to stand for at least 4 hours.
Rattlesnake Meat Facts
- Rattlesnake meat should never be eaten raw, even if it is dried.
- The meat contains deadly parasites like salmonella bacteria, that have been reported to harm humans when eaten. Hence, make sure that the meat is thoroughly cooked before consuming it.
- For some people, it tastes like chicken, while for others, it tastes like frog legs.
- This meat is easier to find online rather than in local supermarkets or grocery stores.
- Before you cook the meat, wash it, thoroughly. You can use cold water while you do this.