A potluck dinner party is a nice way to unwind and relax after a long weekday. As a hostess you do not have to worry about preparing a full course meal for the dinner party. In a potluck dinner party each guest brings one dish of their choice to the party to be served and shared with friends. If you are the one hosting the party, make sure that you inform your guests well in advance the theme of your party or the kind of food that they are expected to bring along. Give your guest plenty of choice and enough leeway to choose what they want to bring to the potluck party and do not force them to bring any particular dish if they are not comfortable with it. Remember that they are your guests and avoid using them like a restaurant to order food. On the other hand if you are invited to a potluck party, you must be wondering what to bring to a potluck dinner. Well, you can bring any dish that travels well and tastes good.
Ideas for Potluck Dinner
There are a few things that you should keep in mind when you host a potluck dinner party.
- Decide on the Menu: When you are hosting a potluck dinner, you should give some thought to the menu if you want to avoid a mismatch of too many cuisines or an abundance of similar type of dishes. This is very important as you might end up with too many casserole dishes and without any side dish or dessert.
- Decide on the Theme: Choosing a creative theme for the potluck party is also equally important. Choose a potluck theme that your guests might be excited about like a French, Italian or Spanish themed menu. Inform your guests about the theme and ask each guest to bring a dish that echoes this theme. If you are having an Italian themed potluck party your guest can bring different pizzas, pastas and antipasto platter. For more variation you can even have an oriental themed potluck dinner party where the guests can prepare one Chinese or Thai dish of their choice.
- Determine the Quantity of Food Required: Next decide how many appetizers, main course, side dishes and desserts are required. The best option is to opt for four to six appetizers, three to four main courses, four to five side dishes and two good desserts for a party of twelve to sixteen people.
- Make Arrangement for Beverages: To wash down all the lovely food, you need some good beverages. As hosts you can arrange for the drinks with a classic holiday punch and couple of bottles of red and white wine. Make sure that you have an adequate selection of both alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks.
Here is a selection of easy potluck recipes that are ideal for a potluck dinner. Try to choose a dish that does not require additional cooking at the party. Also make sure that the food does not spoil during transportation.
- Marinated Shrimp with Chili Garlic Sauce
- Stuffed Herb Filled Mushrooms
- Mini Smoked Salmon Pizzas
- Crab Cakes with Spicy Avocado Salsa
- Tomato and Mint Bruschetta
- Nachos with a Spinach and Cheese Dip
- Mini Frittatas with Ham and Cheese
- Chicken Wontons with a Spicy Dip
- Pork Spring Rolls
- Grilled Chicken with Thyme and Lemon
- Penne Pasta with Bacon
- Roasted Garlic and Butternut Squash Casserole
- Lamb Chops with Garlic Sauce
- Chicken Lasagna
- Marinated Pork Tenderloin
- Italian Meatloaf
- Mixed Seafood Noodles
- Mexican Chili
- Cold Potato Salad
- Sautéed Asparagus
- Cauliflower and Green Onion Mash
- Steamed Peas with Mint Vinaigrette
- Chickpea Salad
- Creamed Corn with Bacon
- Carrot and Cabbage Coleslaw
- Braised Broccoli with Garlic
- Stuffed Red Peppers
- Oven Dried Tomatoes
- Apple Pie with Fresh Cream
- Dark Chocolate Orange Cake
- Almond Meringue
- Honey and Pecan Tart
- Double Chocolate Cupcake
- Strawberry Trifles
- Bread Pudding
- Raspberry Rhubarb Pie
- Blueberry Shortcake