Italy is not only famous for its secret pyramids, but also for its authentic food. The Italian dishes have gained worldwide popularity due to their lip-smacking taste. Several delicious Italian dishes are served in a number of hotels and restaurants all over the world. Pizzas and pastas have given a unique identity to Italy.
A formal Italian meal includes a succession of courses, without the main course. It starts with antipasti (before the meal), followed by a primo (first course) of soup, risotto, or pasta, a secondo (second course) including poultry, meat, or fish, accompanied by one or two vegetables side dishes, known as contorni. There is also a salad (insalata) or sometimes cheese. The meals end with a dessert (dolce) or fruits or both. A delicious Italian dessert is a favorite dish of most of the food lovers throughout the world.
Some of the most popular Italian dishes include the antipasti, such as Braciole, Prosciutto e melone, Olive ascolane, Tartine, Peperoni imbottiti; soups and sauces, such as Banga Cauda, Risi e bisi, Grine Sauce, Minestrone; Italian breads, such as Panino, Pane casareccio, Piadina, Tigella; pizza varieties, such as Pizza marinara, Pizza siciliana, Pizza romana, and pasta dishes including Ciceri e Tria, Penne all'arrabbiata, Spaghetti alla Carrettiera, Spaghetti indiavolati, etc.
This Italian appetizer is delicious and crunchy, dipped in a warm marinara sauce.
- Frozen ravioli (meat or cheese filled), 2 dozen
- Eggs (lightly beaten), 2
- Italian seasoned breadcrumbs, 1 cup
- Parmesan cheese
- Marinara sauce (for dipping)
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Cook ravioli in salted, boiling water until they float on the top.
- Then remove them from water and drain.
- Keep them aside for cooling.
- Heat vegetable oil in the fryer to a temperature of about 375 degrees.
- Dip ravioli in the beaten egg and cover in breadcrumbs.
- Fry them in hot oil for about 5 minutes, until they turn golden brown and then drain.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the hot ravioli.
- Heat marinara sauce and keep it in the serving bowl.
- Serve ravioli with the dipping sauce.
Pizza is one of the most popular traditional Italian dishes. This sumptuous dish can be easily prepared at home.
- Garlic flakes, 8 - 10
- Pizza breads (6" diameter), 3
- Tomato puree, 1 cup
- Onions (finely chopped), ½ cup
- Corn flour, 2 tbsp.
- Butter, 2 tbsp.
- Tomato ketchup, 2 tbsp.
- Sugar, ½ tbsp.
- Red chili (crushed), ½ tsp.
- Cinnamon clove powder, ¼ tsp.
- Omam (oregano) seeds, ¼ tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Onions, 2
- Capsicum, 1
- Cooking cheese (grated), 4 - 5 tbsp.
- Coriander (finely chopped), 1 tbsp.
- Tomato ketchup, 1 tbsp.
- Slice the capsicum and onions into thin round slices for topping and keep aside.
- Heat butter in a saucepan, and add chopped onions to it. Stir-fry for about 2 - 3 minutes.
- Add a cupful of tomato puree in it and bring it to boil.
- Mix together chili powder, garlic, clove-cinnamon powder, and salt.
- Add all the ingredients except corn flour, and boil it for about 5 minutes.
- Mix the corn flour in ½ cup of water and make a smooth paste.
- Add it to the boiling sauce. Stir it continuously to avoid a formation of lumps.
- Make it thick enough to spread over the pizza bread.
- Allow it to cool, with occasional stirring in order to avoid a surface drying.
- Spread a ladleful of pizza sauce on bread.
- Place slices of capsicum and onions over the sauce.
- Sprinkle coriander over it and cover with grated cheese.
- Bake it in a hot oven for about 5 minutes or till the cheese melts and the base becomes crispy.
- Cut the pizza into triangles and serve it hot.
The above mentioned recipes are the most basic Italian dishes that are, indeed, the most popular food that not only Italians, but people all over the world bask in. So, with that said, it's time you pampered your taste buds with these delectable dishes.