What Pie Personality Are You?
Apple pie: Independent, compassionate, and wholesome
Pumpkin pie: Humorous, independent, and attached to your past
Chicken pot pie: Sentimental, conventional, and smart
Chocolate Pie: Romantic and loving
Pecan Pie: Analytical thinker and thoughtful
The pie has been existent since the ancient Egyptians. The first pies were made by early Romans. The early pies were predominantly meat pies. Pyes (pies) originally appeared in England during the twelfth century. The crust of the pie was known as "coffyn". The filling was more than the crust actually. Pie came to America with the first English settlers. Over the years, it has acquired the status of "the most traditional American dessert", especially served during Thanksgiving.
Promises and pie-crust are made to be broken. ― Jonathan Swift, Polite Conversation
Jonathan Swift couldn't have said it better. A broken promise is accompanied by guilt, but a broken pie crust, no, never guilt for sure but sheer joy and happiness. Doesn't it feel like you are in heaven when you dig into a pie? Mmm! Can't you almost smell a pie crust being baked in an oven? Those who cannot bake the crust, don't fret. Here's a simple way of making it.
Irresistible Recipes Worth Trying!
Basic Pie Crust
Things Required Serves: 3 to 4 Cooking Time: 60 minutes
- Flour: ¾ cup
- Shortening: ¼ cup
- Cold water: 2 - 3 tablespoons
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Rolling pin
- Extra flour for rolling
- In cold water, add flour, salt, and shortening. Mix it thoroughly till it forms a ball that you can easily knead with your hands.
- Put some flour on your rolling surface and rolling pin. This will make it easier for you to flatten the dough.
- Put the ball of dough on the surface, and flatten it into an even disc. Let the width of the disc be around 10 - 12 inches. If you are not happy with the disc that you have made, you can easily turn it into a ball and start all over again.
- Now, lift your flat dough, and place it in the pie dish. Be careful while lifting it, as the dough might get stuck to the surface. To prevent this from happening, you can put some more flour on the dough. Once you put it into the pie dish, make sure that it covers the entire bottom, sides, and the top lip of the dish.
- Thereafter, you can put in your favorite filling. If you want a crust on top of your pie, then flatten some more dough, and put it on top of the pie dish. Ensure that the top and bottom layer are properly sealed.
- Place this dish in the oven, and bake it at a temperature of 350ºF for 45 minutes or till it turns golden brown.
Serve and enjoy the compliments!
Chicken Pot Pie
Things Required Serves: 6 to 8 Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Pie crust (unbaked and thawed if frozen): 1
- A 10-inch cast-iron pan: 1
- Egg (lightly beaten): 1
- Chicken tenders (around 10 pieces): 1½ pounds
- Low-sodium chicken stock: 2 cups
- Frozen pearl onions: 1 cup
- Frozen peas and diced carrots: 1 cup
- Heavy cream: 1 cup
- Extra-virgin olive oil: 3 tablespoons
- All-purpose flour: 2 tablespoons
- Sweet paprika: ½ teaspoon
- Dried sage: ½ teaspoon
- Dried oregano: ¼ teaspoon
- Garlic (minced): 2 cloves
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Take the chicken tenders and sprinkle some paprika, sage, oregano, salt, and pepper, and keep it aside.
- Next, take the cast iron pan, add some olive oil, and heat it over medium-high flame.
- Once the oil is heated, add the seasoned chicken, and cook for about 4 minutes on either sides. Ensure that the chicken is cooked through.
- Then, transfer the chicken to a plate, and rest it for a few minutes before chopping it into ½-inch cubes.
- In the same pan, which has a little bit of the leftover oil, add peas, carrots, and onions. Mix well and finally add some salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 4 to 7 minutes till the onions tenderize. Then, add the garlic and cook for another 30 seconds till you can sense the aroma of the garlic added.
- Next, slowly add in the flour, and stir gently until the flour mixes completely with the vegetables and juices.
- Follow this by adding the chicken stock; reduce the flame to a simmer, and stir continuously until the mixture turns thick.
- After the liquid has thickened, pour the heavy cream and stir further. At this stage, taste to check if the salt content is appropriate, else add if required.
- Now, transfer the chicken back into the pan. Next, unfold the pie crust, and put it over the top of the filling.
- Remember to tuck the excess edges inside the pan. Next, take the egg wash, and brush it evenly all over the crust.
- Before placing it in the oven, lightly cut 4 vents on the top of the crust using a knife.
- Bake for about 20 - 22 minutes until the crust turns golden brown in color.
Your chicken pot pie is ready to be devoured on!
For the DoughThings Required Serves: 5 to 6 Cooking Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Flour: 2 cups
- Ice water: 6 - 8 tablespoons
- Butter: 6 tablespoons
- Shortening: 6 tablespoons
- Sugar: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
For the FillingThings Required
- In a bowl, mix together flour, salt, and sugar.
- After mixing it thoroughly, add butter, shortening, and ice water.
- Keep it aside.
- Tart apples (peeled): 5
- Butter cubes: 4
- Egg white: 1
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Flour: 2 tablespoons
- Cider vinegar: 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon
- Cinnamon: ½ tablespoon
- Salt: ¼ tablespoon
In the Final Step
- Slice the apples, and soak them in water mixed with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice. This won't allow the apples to turn brown, which happens if cut apples are kept in open air for long.
- In a large bowl, mix together sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and vinegar.
- Now, add the apple slices into this mixture.
- Divide the dough into two parts, and roll each part into a flattened disc having a thickness of around ⅛th of an inch.
- Place one part in the pie dish, and add the apple filling.
- Add the 4 chunks of butter on top of the filling. This gives the filling an extremely rich flavor.
- Next, place the other part of the dough on the top, and carefully seal the top and bottom crust.
- Now, place your pie in the oven, and bake it at a temperature of around 400ºF for 50 - 60 minutes.
- After you take the pie out, you can brush the surface with an egg white for a glossy effect.
The most scrumptious apple pie is ready to be had!
Things Required Serves: 6 to 8 Cooking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Egg yolks: 2
- Pre-made basic pie crust: 1
- Egg: 1
- Packaged cream cheese, softened (8-ounce): 1
- Canned pumpkin (mashed): 2 cups
- Sugar: 1 cup
- Half-and-half: 1 cup
- Melted butter (½ stick): ¼ cup
- Vanilla extract: 1 teaspoon
- Cinnamon (ground): ½ teaspoon
- Ginger (ground), optional: ¼ teaspoon
- Salt: ¼ teaspoon
- Whipped cream, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Using a hand mixer, beat the cream cheese in a large mixing bowl.
- Then, add the pumpkin and continue beating till the two ingredients are well-combined.
- Next, add the sugar and salt, and mix until combined.
- Now, take the egg and egg yolks and slightly beat them together in a separate bowl.
- Then, add this egg mixture, half-and-half, and melted butter to the above mix, and beat until well-combined.
- Finally, add the cinnamon, vanilla, and ginger, and beat until the ingredients assimilate well.
- Next, slightly warm the pre-made pie crust. Afterwards, pour this filling into the warmed pie crust and bake for about 50 - 52 minutes or till the mixture at the center is set.
- Finally, cool the pie to room temperature, cut into slices, and add generous amounts of whipped cream on top of each piece.
Your pie is now ready to serve and eat!
Those who are health-conscious or those who are under a strict diet, but at the same time cannot resist eating a pie, can opt for a whole wheat crust instead. It is a healthy as well as a delicious option. You can also learn more about how to make a pie crust using various books and online food sites to make the best pie using your own favorite stuffing. Choose to surprise your family with a lip-smacking pie or just treat yourself on some lazy Sunday afternoon. Have your humble pie any which way you want to anytime, anywhere. Is that a pie that I can smell being baked? I think so. Hope it is filled with my favorite stuffing!