Different types of cheeses are made with milks of animals such as cow, buffalo, goat, sheep, etc. Coagulation of the milk produces protein casein, which is separated to make cheese. Similarly, Parmigiano-Reggiano, English name Parmesan, is made from raw cow's milk. The name, Parmigiano-Reggiano, comes from the region of its origin namely Parma, Reggio, Emilia, Modena, Bologna, and Mantova. According to the Italian law, cheese which is produced in any of the regions mentioned above can be labeled as Parmigiano-Reggiano. In Europe, this cheese falls under the protected designation of origin law.
What It's All About?
The cheese is extra-hard, sharp in taste, dry, dense, and has large grains. The aging time can take anywhere from 12 months to 34 months. To make about one kilo of cheese, approximately 16 liters of milk is used. There are 431 calories in 100 gram of this cheese, out of which 257 come from fat.
Recipes to Try
The cheese is a perfect addition for spaghetti and other Italian pasta dishes.
Parmesan Cheese Sauce
The sauce can be poured over steamed vegetables and pasta.
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 ½ tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium heat.
- When the butter melts, add flour and stir constantly ensuring the flour does not stick to the skillet. Continue to stir till it is golden in color.
- Reduce the heat to low, gradually add milk to skillet, and bring the ingredients to a boil.
- Keep stirring the mixture till it cooks properly and thickens.
- Now add cheese, salt, pepper, and paprika to the mixture and stir continuously.
- Remove from heat and serve the cheese sauce with your favorite dish.
Baked Asparagus with Parmesan Cheese
- 1 lbs. asparagus spears
- 1 ounce Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- While you get the asparagus ready, preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- On a baking sheet, line the asparagus on parchment paper.
- Drizzle olive oil, salt, and black pepper on top and coat the spears properly.
- Rearrange the spears in a single line and spread the cheese on top.
- Place the baking sheet in the preheated oven and let the asparagus bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or till the cheese melts and spears are crisp and tender.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.