Cooking steak is not rocket science. There are a few of us who are more comfortable with cooking it in the oven and find it difficult to cook it any other way. At the same time, grilling it can, at times, be very cumbersome. You will have to take care of the flame, the rocks, the heat and the time you will have to spend running to check if it is grilled well. Steak cooked in an oven can also look and taste similar to the one cooked on the grill. One of the most important points to remember, is to ensure that its thickness is not more than 1¼ to 1½ inches and that the weight is between 12 oz. to 16 oz. and not more. Now let's see some easy recipes.
This is a simple, and the best recipe to make in an oven. It is recommended to keep it simple and savor the meat more than just the marinades. Now let's see the ingredients required and also the method of this recipe.
- Steak (cut into pieces), 1½ lb.
- Olive Oil, 2 tsp.
- Salt, as per taste
- Freshly Ground Pepper, as per taste
- Preheat the oven on broiler setting.
- Brush the steak with oil, salt, and pepper.
- Place aluminum foil on the bottom rack of the oven. It will serve as a drip pan.
- Place another rack above this and place the meat pieces on this rack.
- Cook one side of the meat for about 18 to 20 minutes and flip it over to the other side. Cook on the other side for 16 to 17 minutes as well.
- Check if it is cooked, else you can let it bake for another 2 to 3 minutes.
Steak with Roasted Vegetables
This is yet another simple and easy recipe with fresh vegetables.
- Beef Round Steak (cut into ¾ to 1 inch thickness)
- Cooking Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Tomatoes (chopped), 0.50 lb.
- Onion (chopped), 0.50 lb.
- Dried Dill weed, ½ tsp.
- Carrots (cut into strips), 0.35 lb.
- Zucchini (sliced), 2 Nos.
- Flour, ½ cup
- Pepper, ¼ tsp.
- While you trim the excess fat from meat, heat the oven to 350 °F.
- In a mixing bowl, mix half the quantity of flour with salt and pepper. Mix all these ingredients well.
- Roll the meat pieces in the flour mixture.
- Brown the meat using a skillet in hot oil. Then transfer the meat pieces to a baking dish. Do not throw away the drippings. Preserve them in the skillet itself.
- Add the remaining flour to the skillet and stir undrained tomatoes, onion, and dill weed in it. Cook this mixture till it thickens.
- Pour this mixture over the meat in the baking dish.
- Add carrot over the tomatoes mixture. Cover the baking dish and bake for an hour in the oven.
- After an hour, add zucchini and bake covered for 15 to 20 minutes. Now you will have to check if the meat and vegetables are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper. It tastes best when served with steamed rice.
Steak in Cream of Mushroom Soup
This is a different kind of recipe, which uses cream of mushroom soup. Let's see the ingredients and the method.
- Round Steak, 2 lb.
- Flour, 1 cup
- Onion (sliced), 0.25 lb.
- Cooking Oil, ¼ cup
- Cream of Mushroom Soup, 1 can
- Salt and Pepper, as per taste
- Cut steak into serving size pieces of 1 inch thickness.
- Coat the meat pieces with flour, salt and pepper.
- Add oil in a skillet and brown the meat pieces on both the sides.
- Now place the meat in a baking dish and pour mushroom soup on top and then place sliced onion on the meat pieces.
- Drain out the excess oil from the skillet and make brown roux with flour, salt, and pepper. Add water to it and pour the brown roux over the steak pieces. Cover with foil and cook in the oven for an hour.
You can change the dressings and seasonings in these recipes as per your choice. You will also have to make sure that the meat pieces have become tender, or to be more precise, cooked medium rare. Overcooking the meat pieces can make them very tough to chew. So go ahead and use these recipes to prepare some delectable dishes.