Here are a few Mexican dishes that will tantalize your taste buds. Enlisted below are recipes for a delicious soup, salad, dip, pie, and lasagna.
Mexican Onion Soup
- Large Yellow Onions, 3
- Tomato Juice, 2 cups
- Beef Broth, 2 cups
- Tejano Salsa, ½ cup
- Grated Monterrey Jac Cheese, 1 cup
- Garlic, 2 cloves
- Butter, ¼ cup
- Water, 1 cup
- Slice the onion after removing its skin.
- Mince the garlic after peeling it.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and then add the onions. Cook for about 20 minutes, till the onions become tender and turn golden brown in color.
- Add the tomato juice, broth, salsa, and water.
- Let the soup boil for a while before reducing the heat.
- Now, let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Garnish the soup with cheese and serve it hot.
Mexican Chicken Salad
- Fully Cooked Chicken Breasts, 4 (shredded)
- Boiled Eggs, 4 (coarsely chopped)
- Celery, 2 stalks (coarsely chopped)
- Onion,1 (finely chopped)
- Candied Jalapenos, ½ jar (finely chopped)
- Pecans, ½ cup (chopped)
- Spicy Mustard, ½ cup
- Garlic Salt, 1 tbsp.
- Pepper, 1 tsp.
- Mayonnaise, 1 cup
- Medium Apple, 1 (optional)
- Place all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Serve with tortilla chips, preferably on a bed of lettuce.
Mexican Roasted Pepper Dip
- Red Bell Peppers, 3
- Cream Cheese, 4 oz.
- Sour Cream, 2 tbsp.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 1 tsp.
- Garlic, 5 cloves
- Cumin, ½ tsp. (ground)
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Sprinkle olive oil over the garlic (do not remove the peels) and then wrap it tightly in an aluminum foil. Place it in the oven for about 40 minutes, till it turns soft. Let it cool for sometime.
- Next, squeeze it out of its skin.
- Cut the peppers into slices and remove the seeds. Roast it for a few minutes on medium flame.
- Put the roasted red pepper, garlic, cumin, cream, cheese, salt, and pepper in a blender with metal blades.
- Blend till a smooth and even paste is obtained.
- Remove the dip into a bowl.
- If you refrigerate in an air tight container, then the dip can be used for a couple of days.
Jalapeno Egg Pie
- Eggs, 8 (beaten)
- Cheddar Cheese, 1 lb. (shredded)
- Tomatoes, ¼ cup (chopped)
- Jalapeno Peppers, 3 (seeded and chopped)
- Mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the entire mixture on a greased 10 inch pie plate.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 350° F, for about half an hour. Allow the pie to become firm.
- Let the pie cool for sometime before serving it.
- For a spicier version of the same pie, you can add salsa or increase the number of jalapeno peppers.
- Corn Tortillas, 12
- Beef, 1 lb. (ground)
- Onion, 1 (chopped)
- Tomato Sauce, 1 can
- Cottage Cheese, 1 cup
- Parmesan Cheese, ¼ cup (grated)
- Cheddar Cheese, ½ lb. (grated)
- Tejano Salsa, 1 cup
- Garlic, 3 cloves (minced)
- Chili Seasoning, 2 tsp.
- Eggs, 2 (beaten)
- Green Chilies, 4 oz. (diced)
- Red Kidney Beans, 16 oz. (drained)
- Whole Kernel Corn, 8 oz. (drained)
- Cumin, 1 tsp.
- Oregano, ½ tsp.
- Sauté the ground beef along with the onion and garlic in a large heavy pan, till the beef is done.
- Add the tomato sauce, salsa, green chilies, chilies powder, corn, kidney beans, and cumin into the pan. Mix with the beef and let it simmer for a few minutes.
- In a separate bowl, mix the cottage cheese with eggs and oregano.
- Arrange 6 tortilla pieces at the bottom of a greased deep sided pan.
- Spread half the meat mixture on the tortillas.
- Next, spread the egg mixture on the meat and cover this layer with half the cheddar cheese.
- Add the second layer of tortillas, meat, and cover it with all the remaining cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Bake the lasagna for 30 minutes at 350° F.
- Let the lasagna rest for about 10 minutes before cutting it. Serve with extra parmesan cheese on the side.