Think Mexican, and color and adventure is all that comes to one's mind. It is the same variety and color that is the essence of the Mexican food as well. They make generous use of the various spices that are native to their land, and add a variety of flavors to their dishes. However, it is not just the main course, but their desserts are just as tantalizing as the food.
It is the flavor, taste, and the exotic look that has made Mexican cuisine popular all over the world. And kids just love the mouth-watering Mexican desserts. Here are some popular recipes of Mexican desserts for kids that are enjoyed by adults as well.
Easy Mexican Dessert Recipes for Kids
Here is one of the simplest traditional Mexican desserts. It will take around 20 minutes to prepare the ingredients and about an hour for the dessert.Ingredients
- Sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz.
- Evaporated milk, 26 oz.
- Sugar, 1½ cups
- Large eggs, 6
- Vanilla, 1 teaspoon
- Heat a flan pan over medium heat and add 1 cup of sugar to it.
- Stir the sugar continuously as it heats over medium flame. Do this till the sugar crystals turn brown (caramelized).
- Keep a couple of ramekins ready. As soon as the sugar caramelizes, transfer 2-3 spoons of it in each pan.
- Tilt the pan so that the sugar swirls and spreads evenly to all the sides.
- Blend all the eggs in a blender. Add the sweetened, condensed milk and the evaporated milk to it.
- Turn on the blender again. Now, add the remaining ½ cup of sugar and vanilla to the blender and mix the ingredients well.
- Pour this custard in the ramekins. In case the caramel hardens by the time the custard mix is ready to be added, heat the ramekins once more.
- Fill a large baking dish with hot water that reaches up to 1-2 inches. Place the ramekins in this bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Now, place the baking dish in the oven and bake the custard mix for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, put a knife through the center of the baked custard. If the knife comes out easily without getting stuck, it means that you have baked the custard just fine!
- Take the baking dish out of the oven and let it cool down. Then, refrigerate the ramekins for 1 hour.
- Invert the ramekins over onto serving plates. Your tasty flan with the caramel sauce flowing over it is ready to be served!
Arroz Con Leche (Mexican Rice Pudding)
With Mexican rice pudding you will definitely score big with kids. Not only because it tastes great, but also because the dessert recipe is so simple that even kids can easily learn to make this.Ingredients
- Rice, 1 cup
- Whole milk, 1 quart
- Sweetened, condensed milk, 14 oz.
- Sugar, ½ cup
- Vanilla, 2 teaspoons
- Cinnamon stick, 1
- Grated nutmeg (fresh), ¼ teaspoon
- Salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Take a medium-sized pan and heat the milk over medium flame.
- Add cinnamon stick and grated nutmeg, and bring the milk to a boil. Now, add rice to the milk and simmer it for about half an hour till the rice grains become soft.
- Stir the mixture occasionally so that the rice grains do not stick together.
- Remove cinnamon stick and add condensed milk, sugar, and salt.
- Simmer the mixture further till more of the liquid evaporates and the preparation has gained a pudding like consistency.
- Add vanilla now. Mix it well and let the mixture cool.
- Cover the surface of the pan with a plastic wrap so that a thick crust does not form on top of the pudding.
- Now refrigerate the pudding for 4-5 hours and serve cold.
Cinnamon Tortilla Treat
Want to involve your kids in cooking? The Mexican cinnamon tortilla treat is just the right choice for that.Ingredients
- Small tortilla, 8" fajita style
- Cinnamon, 1 teaspoon
- Sugar, 1 tablespoon
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. Melt butter and brush one side of tortilla with it.
- Sprinkle the sugar-cinnamon mixture on the buttered surface of the tortilla.
- Now, roll up the tortilla. As you do so, smear butter on the other side of the tortilla as well.
- Sprinkle some more sugar and cinnamon on the rolled up tortillas.
- Preheat an oven at 375ºF. Place the tortilla in a cookie sheet, put it in the preheated oven, and cook for five minutes.
- The tortilla should become crispy and turn golden brown by this time. If not, then cook for a minute or two more.
- Serve this crispy tortilla with hot chocolate to make it all the more an irresistible kids' Mexican dessert!
Mexican desserts make an excellent choice for any occasion. Not only do all of them taste good but as you must have already realized, some of these desserts can be easily made by the kids as well!