Even if you don't know cooking, preparing a steaming bowl of creamy mashed potatoes shouldn't be a challenging task. It's very simple, and you don't need to resort to drastic measures. Just follow the steps listed, and enjoy the dish.
Recipe for Beginners
- 4 potatoes (about 2 lbs)
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¾ cup whole milk
- Garlic, 4 cloves, peeled and mashed
- 2 tsp salt for taste
- Peel potatoes, and cut them into large chunks. If you wish, you can use unpeeled potatoes as they contain more vitamins than the peeled ones.
- Place the potatoes in a large pot, and add enough water, so that they are completely covered.
- Once the water starts boiling, reduce the heat, and simmer until they are fork tender. Time required is about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain water from the pot, but leave some water, so that the bottom of the pot is just covered with water.
- Add butter and garlic to the potatoes, and mash all three together.
- Don't boil milk, just heat it until hot.
- Pour it into the potatoes, and stir the mixture until creamy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, and serve immediately.
- If you want, you can sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits on top of the potatoes, to add flavor.
- Or, if you want, you can add old bay seasoning to them, and sprinkle a little shredded cheddar cheese on top.
Delicious and Healthy Potatoes
- 2 cups cold potatoes
- 5 cheese cubes
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Half packet of dry ranch dressing
- Salt and pepper
- Take the potatoes that are mashed, and cool them in refrigerator for one hour minimum, before preparation.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Add ½ cup dry ranch dressing packet, and a pinch of salt and pepper into the cold potatoes, and mix well.
- Take a small handful of the above mixture. Inserting one cheese cube into the center of the ball, form a round potato ball around the cheese cube, about the size of a small tennis ball.
- Roll the ball through breadcrumbs to evenly coat on all sides.
- Place the balls on baking sheet, and bake at 350ºF for 12-14 minutes, until golden brown.
- Allow the balls to cool for one minute, and then serve. Be careful as cheese in the center might be hot.
- To add special flavor as per your liking, you can add chives, bacon bits, and other common potato condiments.
Creamy Garlic Potatoes
- 5 large potatoes
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt and pepper
- Peel and dice the potatoes.
- Break the garlic into two pieces. Fill saucepan with water, add salt and broken garlic.
- Bring the water to a boil. You can change the amount of garlic in the boiling water as per your liking.
- Gently put the potatoes into the boiling water, and cook until done.
- Drain the water, and also remove the garlic cloves.
- Place the potatoes into a large bowl.
- Whip with an electric beater until smooth.
- Add the butter and milk, and whip until fluffy.
Everybody loves potatoes. You can prepare a number of delicious dishes from scratch. If you follow the right method of preparation, and if you consume them in right proportion, potatoes can help improve your overall health.