Mandarin oranges are a type of orange found mainly in countries like Southern China, India, East Indies, Japan, Philippines, etc. As they come from the citrus family, these oranges are a good source of Vitamin C. Eating mandarin oranges also have other health benefits because they are low in saturated fat, sodium, and cholesterol. Moreover, dietitians often recommend oranges to people who are trying to lose weight.
If you have been advised to include oranges in your diet, you have come to the right place. Here are some salad recipes that are not only delicious, but also healthy.
Simple Mandarin Orange SaladIngredients
- Mandarin oranges, drained, 1 can
- Medium carton Cool Whip, 1
- Small can crushed pineapple, drained, 1
- Orange JELL-O powder, 3 ounces
- Small carton cottage cheese, 1
The ingredients can be changed as per the quantity of salad that you want.
- To make this salad, you need two mixing bowls, one small and one large.
- In the small bowl, take cottage cheese and Cool Whip. Mix both these ingredients well and keep it aside.
- Next, in the large mixing bowl, take the oranges, crushed pineapple, and orange JELL-O powder.
- Stir thoroughly so that all the ingredients mix well.
- Fold in the Cool Whip and cheese mixture to come up with a delicious salad.
Mandarin Orange Chicken Salad
- Mandarin oranges, 11 ounces
- Toasted silver almonds, ¼ cup
- Boneless chicken breast, skinned, ¾ pound
- Small-sized green onions, 1-2
- Teriyaki sauce, ¼ cup
- Torn mixed salad greens, 8 cups
- Medium-sized carrot, 1
- Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Ground ginger, ½ teaspoon
- Pepper, ¼ teaspoon
- Sugar, 2 teaspoons
- White vinegar, 2 tablespoons
- Salt, ¼ teaspoon
- Soy sauce, 3 teaspoons
- Marinate the chicken in teriyaki sauce in an air tight container. Chill it in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Chop the carrots and green onions and keep aside.
- After two hours, take the chicken out of the refrigerator and drain the marinade off it.
- Grease a sauce pan with oil and fry the chicken till it loses its pink color and becomes brown.
- Let the chicken cool down and then chill it in the refrigerator once again.
- Take chicken, salad greens, oranges, and carrots in a large mixing bowl.
- Add in onions and almonds, and mix well.
- Stir in the white vinegar, ground ginger, salt, olive oil, sugar, pepper, and soy sauce. Your salad is ready to be served.
Mandarin Orange Fruit SaladIngredients
- Mandarin orange segments, 15 ounces
- Maraschino cherries, 6 ounces
- Tapioca pudding mix, 3 ounces
- Medium-sized bananas, diced, 2
- Pineapple chunks, 20 ounces
- Cook and serve vanilla pudding mix, 3 ounces
- Separate the orange and pineapple pieces by draining the juices into a container.
- Transfer the juice into a large cooking pan and also pour three cups of water in it.
- Keep the sauce pan over a medium-high flame. Put in the pudding mixes and stir.
- This has to be cooked for 5-10 minutes, while stirring it continuously.
- Once it starts boiling, remove it from the flame and set aside for cooling.
- In a large mixing bowl, take oranges, pineapples, and cherries.
- Add the dressing over it and keep it in the refrigerator for chilling.
- However, do not let it freeze completely.
- Toss in the bananas before you serve the salad.
Mandarin Orange Cucumber SaladIngredients
- Mandarin oranges, drained, 11 ounce
- Distilled white vinegar, ⅓ cup
- Medium cucumber, 1
- Salt and ground pepper, as per taste
- Medium Vidalia onion, 1
- Fresh tarragon, chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Granulated sugar, 2 teaspoons
- Peel the cucumbers and cut them into thin round pieces. Along with it, chop the onions into thin slices.
- Take the white vinegar in a bowl and add sugar into it.
- Stir till the sugar dissolves completely, and keep aside.
- Take mandarin oranges in a large mixing bowl and add cucumber and onions into it.
- Fold in the vinegar mixture into it and mix thoroughly.
- Add salt and ground pepper and keep it for chilling.
- Garnish it with chopped tarragon and serve.
These were some of the recipes for salad that you can try making at home. These mouth-watering salads can be great dessert dishes for a party as well and will also refresh you on a warm, sunny day.