Pound cake! ... sounds strange! It would be strange no more, provided you read this piece. Pound cakes are made with a pound of flour, eggs, butter and sugar. This cake has its mother kitchen in England. Although the basic ingredients of the pound cake remain unchanged, many ingredients have been introduced to lend flavors a new character.
Lemon pound cakes are said to be heavy. Addition of baking soda was an invention introduced to make the pound cake lighter. Pound cakes of many textures and flavors have also made their way to the baker's oven. Here are some lemon pound cake recipes from scratch that you would cherish to make and relish while you eat.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces softened butter
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups sugar
- 5 eggs
- 8 ounces milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- After you have prepared your kitchen counter with the aforementioned ingredients, you may take a large bowl and place the softened butter and start beating it with an electric beater.
- Add oil to the butter and blend the mixture well.
- Add sugar to the blend and continue blending.
- Add an egg intermittently, one by one to the mixture and keep blending. This is to ensure the consistency and texture of the mixture.
- Put in flour and milk. First add milk and then flour to the mixture. Continue blending.
- When you find all the ingredients have been mixed thoroughly well, you may move on to add the lemon extract and blend the mixture further.
- By greasing the microwave pan, pour the mixture into it and place the pan in the oven and let the mixture bake for 60 to 90 minutes at 300 degrees F.
- When the mixture is being baked, you may begin the process of preparing the glaze. The ingredients that are required to prepare the glaze are ¼ cup lemon juice, 8 ounces water, 1 teaspoon lemon rind, grated and 8 ounces sugar. All you need to do is to mix all these ingredients and blend it thoroughly till you see that the sugar has melted completely.
- When you see that the cake is baked, you can bring it out of the oven. Let it stand for 15 minutes approximately. When it cools down completely, you can pour the glazing and enjoy this delectable delight. Your homemade lemon pound cake is ready to be pounced on!
Moist Lemon Pound Cake with Cake Mix
- Lemon Cake Mix
- 1 Small Lemon Jello
- 4 Whole Eggs
- 2/3 Cup Oil
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 3/4 Cup Hot Water
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Juice
- Pour oil in a pan and blend together the lemon jello and hot water.
- Let the hot water and jello mix settle together and blend thereafter. Let it stand for a minute or two.
- Now pour the cake mix in a large mixing bowl and follow-up the procedure by adding the jello and hot water mixture in the cake mix bowl and blend well with an electric beater.
- Now add the oil and mix the mixture thoroughly again.
- You may also add eggs one by one and not together for an even consistency.
- Add the lemon juice extract and beat the entire mixture until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Place the mixture in the oven to bake at 400 degree F and check intermittently after 45 minutes to an hour.
- By the time the cake bakes you may prepare a creamy glaze. To make a creamy glaze you need 1 stick butter, 2 cups powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon lemon extract, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel, 2 to 4 tablespoons lemon juice. Melt the butter in a saucepan, add the lemon extracts and the lemon peel and sugar and blend the mixture well.
- When the cake is done, you may let it cool completely and then pour the glaze over the cake. You may now enjoy the mouth-watering lemon pound cake that melts in the mouth.
You can try different types of pound cakes in terms of its flavors and textures once you get a hang of the basic recipe. You may, well, mother a toothsome invention in your very own kitchen. After all, who can cease the confectioner in you!