Pound cakes, as the name suggests, are those that are made with a pound of flour, eggs, butter, and sugar. These thick and heavy cakes are believed to have been introduced in England, many years ago. Though their basic ingredients are still the same, certain changes have been made (like adding baking powder or soda) throughout the years to make it lighter. One can also find them in several flavors and textures, one of them being the lemon pound cake. Here are some recipes that would help in making mouth-watering pound cakes.
Lemon Pound Coconut Cake
- All-purpose flour, 16 oz.
- Sweetened coconut, 12 oz. (flaked)
- Softened butter, 8 oz. (unsalted)
- Sugar, 8 oz.
- Eggs, 4
- Juice from lemon, 1 (large)
- Zest of lemon, 1 (large)
- Baking powder, 1½ tsp.
- Vanilla, 1 tsp.
- Salt, ⅛ tsp.
- Take flour in a medium size bowl, add baking powder and salt to it. Mix well and keep it aside.
- In another mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs one by one, while stirring after adding each egg.
- Add the zest of lemon along with the lemon juice and blend it well into the batter. Transfer the flour mixture into this bowl and stir till the batter becomes smooth. Put in the coconut flakes and mix again.
- Pour the whole mixture into a pan and bake it in a 350°F preheated oven. After 50 - 60 minutes, take the fully set cake out of the oven and keep it for cooling on a wire rack.
- Before slicing it, garnish it with toasted coconut flakes and whipped cream.
Lemon Pound Cake with Cream
- Sugar, 3 cups
- Cake flour, 3 cups
- Lemon juice, ¼ cup (fresh)
- Eggs, 6
- Butter, 8 oz. (unsalted)
- Sour cream, 8 oz.
- Lemon extract, 1 tsp.
- Lemon peel, 1 tsp. (grated)
- Baking soda, ½ tsp.
- Salt, ½ tsp.
- In a bowl take butter and with a blender, mix till it becomes fluffy. Put in sugar and continue mixing until it gets dissolved. Break the eggs into the bowl as done for the above recipes and mix well.
- In another bowl, combine baking soda, flour and salt and transfer into the batter. Add the sour cream and stir till all ingredients blend completely.
- Pour the batter into a baking pan and bake the cake in a preheated oven at 325°F for 1 hour 30 minutes. Let it cool for some time, and your lemon pound cake is ready to be eaten.
These cake recipes would not take much of your time and would be a great dessert idea for parties and family gatherings. Try some of them and you will definitely find your family and guests wanting more.